Chapter 59

Pip held onto Krey for as long as it took, which felt like hours. Krey and Victoria ran through the woods for miles and miles. The snow thickened as they travelled further up north.

Pip wished he could ask Krey where they were going. He hoped they were travelling to another pack house, but Krey didn't seem to have many friends in the werewolf world.

By the time Krey slowed, Pip's hips were stiff from keeping his legs tightly around him. His shoulders ached when he sat up. Pip watched Krey sniff around, wondering what he could smell. Earth? Other animals? Other wolves? The thought made Pip shiver.

Krey moved slowly through thickening trees, stopping every few metres to sniff the air and scan their surroundings. Victoria did the same, though the woods were so thick, Pip could barely see her.

Pip kept opening his mouth to ask Krey something, but remembered that Krey couldn't reply, well, not with actual words. Pip wanted to know how much further they needed to travel, or where they were going, or why they weren't going back to the Shadow Pack if Krey was sure they would win the fight.

He doesn't want to risk it, not with me with him. For that, Pip was thankful. He knew he was useless in a fight. Pip would probably break a wrist by trying to punch someone, or trip if he tried to run. I made it out of the first fight. Pip glanced to Mark who stared glumly ahead. If Mark hadn't helped me from the windowsill, I might have been captured. Why did he come back for me if he hates me so much?

The woods eventually parted and Krey stopped. He sat down to let his mate off his back. Pip almost stumbled into the snow but kept his footing. The snow was halfway to his knees, but at least he didn't shiver from head to toe after almost two hours of burying himself into Krey's warm fur.

Pip and Mark stood awkwardly as Krey and Victoria shifted to their human forms. Krey stood first and stretched his arm above his head to crack his shoulder into place. Pip was still a little stunned by watching him transform. He wanted to ask why Krey kept his clothes but decided that if he wasn't going to ask why he could shift from human to animal, then the clothes were insignificant.

"We're by the Sea Claw Packhouse," Krey said lowly, looking around.

Pip stared at the tall, muscular, sharp jawed and dark eyed man before him. Riding on the wolf suddenly felt like a dream. When will this feel normal?

"We're allies. They should let us in."

"The Alpha, Viktor Junes wasn't at the annual meeting. My mum sent an invite, but they never responded. Are you sure they're allies?" Victoria asked.

"As far as I'm aware, I've done nothing to piss him off."

Victoria opened her mouth, then closed it sharply.

"What? Krey growled.

"Nothing."

"Say it." Krey said whatever he wanted to anyone's face all the time. It was only fair that they do it back to him.

"Well," Victoria clasped her hands together. "it's just that since your father died, everyone kind of blames you. So, your dads allies are not really your allies. You have to tread carefully here Krey. Outside of family, you don't really know who to trust."

Pip watched Krey's reaction. To Mark or Victoria, Krey made no reaction. To Pip, his eyes leaked guilt, and his face hardened to mask anything else. "They're your allies, aren't they?" Krey asked stiffly.

"Yes. I suppose you want me to do all the talking?" Victoria looked to Mark and motioned him closer. "Let's go to the gates. I'll tell them what's going on."