Chapter 27

When Pip's shift was done, and he walked side by side with Krey, questions circled Pip's head over and over.

"Why do you use wolf terminology?" he asked.

Krey glanced down with a cocked brow. "Wolf terminology?"

"Yeah, l-like how Francis calls you Alpha."

"Why do you think we use it?"

Pip chuckled and shook his head. They stopped walking through the woods. The path descending into darkness, surrounded by distorted trees, didn't seem so creepy in the snow. "You always do that."

"Do what?"

"Answer a question with a question." Pip fidgeted with the ends of his coat sleeves. "I-I know you have secrets that you're, um, scared I won't like. But- Krey, I'm so curious."

"You know what curiosity did to the cat?" Krey asked and thought, the wolves ate it.

Pip smiled. "I'm not a cat."

"Oh, really?"

"See," Pip laughed. "Y-You're too good at changing the subject."

Krey tried to think tactfully. If he told Pip about him being a werewolf, but not about them being mates, Pip might not be so freaked out. Though Francis was right, Pip had to get used to seeing his wolf.

He decided to walk with Pip for an hour more before making up an excuse about having to go back to the institute. Krey walked Pip to his garden, a little reluctant to leave him.

"I might sit out here," Pip said, looking to a tree stump a few metres away.

"Not ready to face your aunt?" Krey asked. His tone laced with a hardness.

"Or my uncle," Pip mumbled. Krey frowned, and Pip felt like he had overshared. "Um, w-when will I next see you?"

"Soon." Krey looked over the garden fence at the family sitting around the kitchen table. "I'll text you when I'm next free."

"Okay."

They stood awkwardly, not knowing whether they should hug or kiss goodbye or just walk their separate ways.

Pip really wanted to kiss Krey again, but he was nervous, and he certainly wouldn't be the one to make the first move. "S-So, uh, I hope the emergency at the institute i-isn't too bad," Pip said as Krey stepped closer.

"Nothing I can't handle." Krey's intense eyes glued to Pip's lips. When he stepped closer again, Pip didn't move back, and the gap between them eventually closed.

Krey towered over him. Pip had to look up to meet his eyes. Krey, softly with his finger, brushed Pip's dark hair from his brow.

Pip felt Krey's large hands heavy on his shoulders. He knew he must have looked like a startled boy, but Krey still crouched to connect their lips.

Once again, they were kissing in the snow. Pip pressed to Krey's warm body, their hands rested on each other, and their lips moved in sync.

The world could have crumbled away, and the boys wouldn't have noticed. A kiss was like plummeting to a different world, a different time, a different life.

Pip melted into Krey, moulding against his jacket.

Their lips moved slowly.

Pip felt as though each gentle kiss sucked a little piece of his soul into Krey. What an odd thing to think. Pip pulled away and stopped standing on his tiptoes. His lips tingled, his heart smashed against his ribs, his insides screamed with delight.