Chapter 73

There's an Instagram account made purely for incorrect quotes from The Golden Prodigies series! It's called: Incorrect Golden Prodigies. I hope you find it as amusing as I do! ;D
Account Made by: Exotic_Studios

- Sian

Krey refused to leave Pip's side, even when the sun set, and Monday crept upon them. Makena brought him food and drinks. Krey barely touched any of it. All he could do was hold Pip's hand and watch him while he rested.

"He's strong for a human. Strong willed I mean," Makena mumbled, breaking the silence. Other wolves slept in the room, so the Omega Medics could check on them through the night. Sid rested on the bed opposite Pip, and Francis slept on the chair next to him. "He has been through a lot. He can get through this."

Krey looked to his mother. Her brown eyes were as sunken and as tired as his felt. She had changed from the black velvet dress she wore to the annual meeting into black floral pyjamas and a black dressing gown. Her grey hair was plaited, but wonky. Makena had planned to visit Pip and Krey for a while, then go to bed, but her son was so beside himself with worry, Makena had to stay to calm him down.

Krey furiously rubbed his hands together. Sometimes, he had felt his wolf fading inside and freaked out, screaming for the Medic and waking everyone up. Nobody could blame his panic, especially not Makena.

She knew the utter horror of feeling her wolf withering away until there was no feeling left other than a void of immense loneliness. She wouldn't wish that on her worst enemy. Well, perhaps the Southern Alpha, but Krey had already seen to that.

Makena touched Pip's hand. "He's warming up." She looked at the red mark around Pip's wrists from the handcuffs. Krey had removed them while Pip was getting stitches on his forehead.

Krey pulled the blanket further up Pip's chest. He had changed Pip out of his damp jeans and Sid's blazer, and into comfortable green tartan pyjamas and one of Krey's black hoodies with an embroidered wolf knitted into the left chest. Krey made Makena fetch Pip's burgundy bobble hat, just to make sure he was extra warm.

After Pip passed out on the bed when Krey first carried him into the room, his lips slowly turned blue and everyone thought he was dying. Pip was just freezing, and his body struggled to heat itself up in the cold Packhouse. Pip now looked a little less ill with colour in his cheeks.

Makena watched as Krey's face blanked, and all emotion was sucked from him in an instant. "If Pip dies," he said lowly, "I'll throw myself off the roof. I'm not living without him. You'll be in charge." He glanced to his mother.

Makena's stomach churned. Her son was deadly serious. "He's not going to die," she insisted.

Krey's dark eyes flicked to Pip, and his hard exterior shattered. "What if he does?"

Makena's heart stopped when she saw the glint of tears in the corners of Krey's eyes.

"I've barely known him a month, mum." Krey's voice cracked and he moved uncomfortably on his chair. "It's not fair." He tried to fight the sudden wave of emotion, but he just wasn't strong enough. Not this time.

When a tear rolled down his cheek, Makena dragged her chair to his side of the bed. When she was close enough, Krey's head dropped onto her shoulder, and she felt him silently crying. Makena's arms coiled around him immediately, comforting him, and holding her son safely against her.

"Whatever happens, I will always be here for you," she whispered, feeling her own tears in her eyes at the sight of Krey's. "Always. Do you hear me?" she planted kisses into his hair. "You will never be alone in this world. Never."