Chapter 46

Krey felt the rise and fall of Pip's chest against his own chest before he even opened his eyes. His arms were still wrapped around Pip, and he laid in the same position he had fallen asleep in.

When Krey bothered to open his eyes, all he saw was brown wavy hair, and then he felt it tickling his skin. Further down the bed was Pip's hat that had been removed during the night.

Pip had tossed and turned and ended up back in Krey's arms with his head still pressed to Krey's shoulder.

Pip had ended up where he felt most content.

The duvet was around them, trapping the heat between them. Krey was warm, not hot, and he was so comfortable, he didn't dare move.

Krey couldn't remember when he last had such a good night's sleep, where he had woken up with a blank mind, rather than one heavy with the horrors from the previous day.

He closed his eyes again, listening to Pip's soft breathing. Krey would have fallen back to sleep if he didn't suddenly remember what his mother had told him last night.

Pip's parents were killed by werewolves.

Krey cursed his mind, only ever able to zone in on the bad things. Still, the news sent Krey's heart hammering against his chest. If he had known, he wouldn't have taken Pip to see the wolves on the field.

Pip had handled training werewolves well, but he had to lean on Krey for support. Krey could only imagine what was going though Pip's thoughts, and whether the wolves brought back tragic memories from his parent's last hours.

Krey tightened his arms around his mate, one in which had turned numb. Krey was suddenly painfully aware of the pins and needles in his hand. He didn't pull his arm out because he didn't want to wake Pip. So Krey settled his face back into Pip's hair until he heard movement by the couch.

Krey lifted his head so fast, his neck cracked.

Makena sat on the couch with a smile as soft as butter.

Krey wanted to scream at her. "The fuck," he hissed. "Get out, right now."

"I've not been here for long," Makena whispered, "I just popped my head in and-"

"I don't care! Get out." Krey scowled when Pip started to stir.

"Get up as soon as you can. We have a busy day today." Makena scoffed at Krey's glare and left, shutting the door behind her.

Krey noted that he had to get a lock, for Pip's safety and to stop himself from biting his mother's head off.

His mother had always been intrusive, but not quite this much. Krey didn't mind when he wasn't drowning in grief. Sometimes, all he wanted was to be left alone when all his mother wanted was to have someone to hold her.

Krey silently sighed when Pip lifted a hand and rubbed his eyes, occasionally brushing his knuckles against Krey's neck.

Krey watched him, wanting to greet him good morning, but wanting to see if Pip would drift back to sleep.

Pip's blue eyes graced Krey's sight. As soon as Pip saw him looking, the thought of more sleep left him like a breath to the wind.

Pip's cheeks flushed red. "Morning," he croaked, concealing a yawn into Krey's shoulder. Pip coughed lightly and scrunched his eyes shut when his head thumped.

Krey then remembered that the longer they didn't complete the bond, the sicker his mate would feel. "Morning, Pip," he whispered, thrilled that they were still so close.

"What time did you get back last night? I t-think I remember you telling me to go back to sleep." Pip shifted up the bed, so their faces were level.