Chapter 75

When Pip woke the next morning, Krey was still on top of him, sleeping softly. Krey's face was as calm as Pip had ever seen him with no scowls, and no tight jaw.

Pip yawned silently, and remembered he had a neck brace on when he couldn't roll onto his side and curl up against Krey. He was warm under the duvet but was desperate for the toilet. Pip stared at the bathroom with no door, blushing at the thought of Krey standing naked in the doorway.

He liked Krey's confidence. Pip wished he could be that confident about the way he looked. The way he caught Krey staring at him sometimes did make Pip feel good about himself.

He tried to worm his way off the bed, but his actions weren't smooth, not with Krey's head on his shoulder and a brace around his neck. Krey stirred. He was heavy on top of Pip, but warm.

Pip glanced back to the bathroom and tried once more to slide from underneath Krey. When he was almost out, Krey gripped his arm, staring up at him with sleepy brown eyes. "Where?" he mumbled, too tired to form a sentence.

"Just the bathroom," Pip whispered. Krey's eyelids were shut before he even finished his words. Pip got up when Krey rolled over and buried his face into the cushion.

Pip was quick and stared at himself in the mirror as he washed his hands. His right cheek was a little red from being smacked. Bruises circled the dressing on his forehead. Krey was in the process of rubbing his eyes when he returned to the bed. "Morning." Pip smiled when Krey looked him up and down.

Krey sat up without taking his eyes off him. "Sleep well?"

"Yes."

Krey ruffled the grey streak in his hair, then flopped back down. "Today is going to be... busy."

"With talking about southern wolves?"

"That, and fixing this shit hole of a Packhouse."

"You don't have to do that right away."

"No, but I don't want to see blood everywhere on my way to breakfast either."

Pip agreed. He pulled on his neck brace and yawned. The air was freezing, and Pip was cold as soon as he left the duvet, so he crawled back under the covers, wishing Krey would lie on top of him again, but Krey stood and stretched.

"I need to arrange a meeting." Krey eyed Pip pulling the duvet to his chin. "You should rest today."

"So should you."

"Alpha's don't rest." Krey dressed in black ripped jeans, and a well-fitted black t-shirt with his classic wolf's head knitted into the left side of his chest. He bent down to kiss his mate. "I don't know how long I'll be in meetings and stuff."

"It's fine," Pip whispered, flustered after a simple head-kiss. "I-I might sleep more."

"You can lock the door behind me if you want."

Pip watched him leave. He rubbed his chest as Krey walked away. I feel him leaving. Pip still compared his feelings to how he felt before he met the werewolf. They were lonely feelings. Even when Pip wasn't thinking of Krey, he was in the back of his mind, always.

Pip pulled the duvet to his nose. The fabric smelt of Krey's musky and earthy scent. Pip was starting to need the smell.

He tried for almost two hours to fall back to sleep. Every time Pip slightly drifted off, his body wanted him to turn onto his side, but the neck brace dug into him uncomfortably.

Eventually, he got up and peeked down the hallway, eager to look for the medic. Pip still wore his green tartan pyjama's and Krey's black hoodie that drowned him. Southern wolves had thrown his clothes to the stone yard below, so Pip couldn't yet change. He slipped on his yellow converse and stepped into the long corridor.