Chapter 14 - A Battle of Pride

Over the years, having become a platform to identify the next generation of geniuses, the Induction had gained a lot of fame, and yet outsiders had never been allowed a seat in the audience. Even the Empire's king wasn't an exception.

This rule had initially attracted some discontent among the nobles, but the blue-bloods had still been forced to comply. No matter their stature, the nobility knew better than to risk attracting the headmaster's ire over such a small matter.

The Academy was a host to three Coliseums, the largest of which was packed with an excited crowd of mana wielders. Ten large stone platforms divided the Coliseum's stage, each holding a match of its own.

Spread across two days, the Induction consisted of numerous bouts, several of which were scheduled to begin fairly early in the morning.

Unlike the room full of sophomores, the freshmen's designated waiting area was filled with nervous energy. The few confident participants were already on stage. Amy was one of them. Welcoming excited rows of observers, she stepped onto her designated platform.

Like with any official dual among students, each round was presided over by a judge whose strength was at least at the level of a Crusader or a Master Mage.

An almost invisible barrier, designed to deflect every stray spell or attack, cozily surrounded every platform. The little noise from weapons and spells colliding, however, was drowned out by the cheering crowd.

Moments after Amy's arrival, her opponent calmly stepped on stage. With black combat attire and a touch of arrogance, the blonde young man bore resemblance to his father, Marquis Cullen.

Judging the match between the two heirs was a man with greying hair and sharp eyes – Crawford Winfield. "You know the rules. This better be a clean fight." He said. Years had passed, and yet this retired military officer turned professor still retained his discipline and brevity.

"Of course, Mr. Crawford needn't worry." The young man answered before directing a tactful bow towards Amy. "Miss Walker, I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you before. My name is Phillip Cullen."

"No, you haven't." Amy instantly felt disgust well up inside her. She wasn't one to be fooled by his façade and had instantly noticed his momentary lascivious gaze. But as in many noble gatherings, she knew that she too had to keep up with the pretenses. The gentle smile on her face was her attempt at reluctantly concealing her feelings of repulsion.

The heirs of the various noble families were groomed from a young age and burdened with high expectations. While the populace envied their privileges, they often failed to notice the heavy responsibilities that came with the family titles. As the next generation of the Empire's pillars, the blue-blooded children would undergo rigorous training which would often result in personalities with traits like discipline and competitiveness. However, there were always a few who cracked under the pressure.

Tired of competing against his brother to become Marquis, Phillip had essentially paved the way for the latter's ascension. Much to his father's chagrin, not only had Phillip given up, but he had also begun to waste his talents after entering Asterisk Academy. The second son of the Marquis had started to fool around, often visiting brothels and spending little time on the study of the magic arts.

"I heard that Miss Amy's new Heaven Level Familiar is still in its infancy." Phillip licked his lips. "So, why don't we leave the familiars out of this battle?"

"My... how very thoughtful of you!"

"Enough! Leave the pleasantries for later." Crawford impatiently interrupted. Counting down, he signaled the start of the match with a clap as loud as a gunshot.