Chapter 30 - Baring Fangs Part 1

"Get Out!" The Minister bellowed on receiving the report of the failure, his furious shout shaking the mansion and echoing through its halls. The news bearer almost collapsed before rushing out of the room in fright.

Seething in anger, the Minister incoherently muttered and cursed as he slowly pulled out a series of books from a bookshelf in a practiced manner. Accompanied by a gentle click, the shelf receded into the wall to reveal a small dark passage.

The dim lights lined along both walls did little to affect prevalent gloominess. Sturdier than stone and reinforced with magic, the pathway was built to last. It led the Minister to a simple room with minimal decorations and a large bed. The Minister sat at the bedside, his anger disappearing. Tranquillity was replaced by sadness as he pensively stared at the sickly pale face of his daughter.

With her eyes closed, the girl draped in white sheets seemed to be peacefully asleep, her breathing faint and her body lacking in humanly warmth.

While tenderly caressing her long auburn hair, the Minister tucked a few stray strands behind her ear. His heart burning with flames of new found resolve, he gently held her hand and whispered, "Just wait a little longer. No matter the cost, I'll definitely save you."

"Well, well!" The lights were snuffed out. The temperature took a dive. The room suddenly turned darker than night as smoked seeped through the cracks in the floors and walls, slowly agglomerating to create an outline of a person. Cackling with laughter, the mass of smoke intently met the Minister's gaze and mocked, "You were too rash! No wonder you failed!"

"Whether I was rash or not is not your concern!" The Minister flatly replied, "Your job has always been to heal my daughter. I suggest you stay focused on that."

"Now, now, let's not be impatient." The smoky figure chuckled. "Perfection takes time and since you still haven't found a substitute for that girl, this will only take longer. In the meantime..." The figure pretended to pat the Minister's head, a hazy smile on its face. "You should take care of the trouble you've attracted."

"Don't patronize me!" The Minister barked, the strength of his mana beginning to show. "Do your job and I'll do mine. Renege on our deal and I'll cut you down."

"Ha ha! So terrifying..." The figure teased before its form began to dissipate.

The Minister ruefully sighed, secretly lamenting. 'If only I had another option... But now that I've come this far, there is no turning back. If Scarlett can be saved, then even my life is but a small price to pay.' Looking at his daughter, the Minister's gaze softened. "Just a little longer..." He murmured.

***

Standing beside Liliana, Max felt the corners of his lips twitch. Irritation bubbled up inside like a volcano waiting to explode. August didn't seem to notice. Carefree as ever, he stood in front of him, laughing and stating his reason for showing up. "I figured if I plead your case and helped you out, you'd owe me one. Then you'd have no choice but to accept my sparring request!"

Hearing his explanation, Evangeline held her head and nearly sank into depression. 'You stupid battle junkie, don't you have any sense of propriety?! How can you even say something like that with a straight face?!'

The duo were here because Lewis hadn't been tight lipped. After separating from Liliana and Amy, he had run into Evangeline who had managed to coax the information out of him. As if summoned by the mere mention of Max, August had shown up and spurred into action. Without a word, the young sword maniac had headed straight for the Walker castle, following after Max's trail, his silence practically forcing Lewis and Evangeline to tag along.