Chapter 17 - The Battle between Geniuses Part 2

Max furrowed his brows, confused by the statement.

"I was quick to judge and perhaps... in the depths of my heart, I still had some doubts." August elaborated, "Some part of me just didn't believe that there was one more person in this Empire who I could give my all against. Maybe it was my pride. I'm not really sure, but for that... I'm sorry."

"I'm not good with your type." Max inwardly muttered as he looked at August in exasperation. 'The stupidly honest are sometimes the most annoying ones. Sam was kinda like that too.'

"That's why, as a sign of respect, I'll be coming at you with everything I've got. I only hope you'll do the same."

"Please don't! I'm not nearly as powerful as you think I am." Max finally responded with a trace of worry in his voice. Damn it! Any more spotlight and I'm sure I'll attract trouble! His response left August at a momentary loss for words which turned into an eventual grin. "As long as a battle has brought me at least a step closer to the apex of swordsmanship, I've never cared about things like winning and losing, but it's different for you."

"Huh?" Max frowned. I don't care either!

"If you don't care you should." August continued, almost like he'd read his mind. "After all, you're her familiar. With everyone watching, are you really going to fight in a way that disgraces your master?"

For the first time since the start of their match, Max observed August with a hint of solemnity. The swordsman's words struck a chord. The three words 'you're her familiar' produced emotional ripples on a scale he just couldn't ignore. Remembering the time he had spent with Liliana, he glanced at the girl who had begun another round of attrition with her counterpart. A single thought bloomed in the depths of his heart and began to resonate with the core of his being. Am I the type of person to repay sincerity with halfheartedness? Most! Definitely! Not!

"Even though I know I'll end up regretting this..." Max clicked his tongue and lazily stretched his limbs. The subtle changes in his demeanor sent shivers through August. He trembled form excitement, but like everyone else failed to notice a strange red glow flash past Max's eyes. "There's no going back now August." Max cracked his fingers and let a hint of his arrogance show. "My hundred percent... even I don't know where it lies."

August tightened his grip around his sword. "Show me what you've got."

Liliana had begun to feel frustrations pile up. Despite unleashing almost everything in her arsenal, her spells hadn't managed to make a dent in Evangeline's defenses. Even her rare attempts at assisting Max in his battle had been easily thwarted. As she fought, she amplified the occasional attack by mixing in elements of wind magic, but it seemed to make no difference.

On the other hand, though trying her best to not let it show, Evangeline was starting to feel pressured. The Induction had originally been created as a tool to give the freshmen a taste of a real battle. To make it worth her while and give Liliana the battle experience she needed, Evangeline had been countering Liliana's spells by using a similar level of magic. However, she had sporadically been forced to employ high tier spells to overpower the latter in combat. Evangeline was certain that she would have been at a definite disadvantage if she hadn't recently become a High Mage.

Fighting against fatigue, Liliana knew she had entered the final stages of her battle. Ready with their next barrage of spells, the two girls faltered at the sound of a loud explosion. Taken aback, they stood with their wands in the air and their mouths agape as they watched sword clash against gauntlet in a battle for supremacy.

Max and August viciously traded blows without the slightest care.

The spectators had been stunned into silence. They were shocked and mesmerized by the two knights desperately seeking an opportunity to eclipse the other. By rivaling August at his best, Max had unintentionally suppressed all the doubters and haters. Combined with Liliana's skill as an outstanding Intermediate Mage, the two had left the skeptics and the envious with nothing to complain about.