Chapter 34 - Overdraw Part 1

"Any questions?" Charles asked, having said his piece. He had given them all the information he had, from the mansion's layout, the routes of the patrolling guards to the areas in the mansion with the highest levels of security.

Parts of the manor remained inaccessible to everyone but the Minister and that's where the trio decided to go. "One of these places has to be where the Minister hides his kidnapped victims." Max said, "Sneak in, find the place and sneak out. Don't engage." He repeated himself, reminding the girls to be careful. They were splitting up to cover more ground. Happiness wasn't even the last feeling this decision evoked.

"So I stay put, is it?" Charles pointed at himself, secretly relieved. He was to man the gate for a while longer before using the little time he had to inform his brother of the plan.

Progress was slow, but Max still managed to sneak past undetected. "This thing is pretty amazing." He muttered, playing with the small badge in his hand, surprised that something that looked no different than a coin could help him bypass the security spells. Moving from one landmark to the next, he followed the route Charles had drawn out to the letter.

The unassuming wooden door was exactly where Charles said it would be. Max heaved a sigh of relief. "This is the place." Mumbling, he pushed open the door, only for the loudest creak he had ever heard to resound through the corridor. The high pitched sound killed his excitement and fueled his nervousness as he cursed and hastily closed the door behind him. A hand on his chest, he held his breath, afraid that any more noise would attract a squadron of guards, but the ensuing silence was reassuring.

A room dimly illuminated by the moonlight. At its center was a bed, a simple bed draped in white sheets and covered with handcrafted dolls and plush toys. It was a place that strangely resonated with the feelings of melancholy.

"Why is a place like this restricted?" Relatively relaxed, Max started to look around, his questions piling and confusion increasing.

The air danced to his tune, an extension of his senses. He willed a gentle breeze to sweep every nook and cranny, but found nothing out of the ordinary. "A hidden passage perhaps?" He wondered out loud, frowning as he pushed his control a step further to finally sense the hollow space behind a wall. Max smiled. "Of course."

Pulling out books from the book shelf was no good. Cupboards, the bed, the flooring, Max checked everything for levers and buttons, until the only thing left untouched was the single largest portrait in the room, a painting of a beautiful woman with a gentle smile.

Calmly approaching the canvas, he stroked his chin in thought. "It can't be this cliché, can it?" He silently wondered as he extended his hands and gave the painting a slight tug. Feeling resistance, his eyes flickered with anticipation as he used more strength. The soft click and the portion of the wall that had slowly begun to disappear confirmed his suspicions. "Bingo."

The once dark corridor was immediately illuminated, the torches lining the walls magically lit up. The stone ceiling and floor seemed to be without end.

The wall reformed behind him, Max knew that there was no way but forward. Vigilant for traps and ambushes, he made his way forward, alternating between a walk and a nervous jog before ultimately stopping before a steel door.

Once again calling upon the air, Max used a gentle draft as an extension of his body to probe the room beyond the door. It swept past the walls and the rows of seated figures. For a moment, he felt their breaths like his own, the shape of their body and the sweat trapped in their clothes. Max understood. Eyes shooting open, he instantly knew that this steel gateway was now separating him from the Minister's unconscious victims.