Chapter 15 - Changing the Rules of Battle

Refusing to budge, Max icily stared at Phillip and August. Evangeline watched from the side, hoping that the situation wouldn't escalate any further.

"You plebeian! How dare you?!" Phillip yelled in fury.

Crawford groaned and sternly ordered, "Stand down Phillip!"

With this ex-army man around, Phillip knew he would fail if he were to unleash a spell upon Max. Burning the latter's appearance into his memory, he snorted and left without saying another word.

"My shoulder is kinda sore." Max sighed, knowing he'd lost his chance. A façade of nonchalance emerged as he said to Crawford, "Mind letting me go? I need to check on Amy."

Crawford bitterly laughed. He appreciated Max's loyalty to Amy, but was also annoyed by the unapologetic attitude.

"You! How dare you attack another participant?!" A man in his fifties huffed and puffed as he ran full speed towards the stage. "Give me one reason why I shouldn't suspend you right now!"

August and Crawford immediately groaned. "Bradley, this matter has already been handled."

Bradley Lockhart was a Master Mage with ties to the Cullen household. Despite his relation with the Marquis's family, he knew he couldn't play favorites and interfere with the punishment the Academy would dole out to Phillip.

But the heaven's had presented him with an excellent opportunity. Max was now the perfect scapegoat to showcase his loyalty to the Marquis's family.

"Been handled?" Bradley sneered. "Crawford, as part of the teaching faculty, how can I turn a blind eye to someone who so blatantly disregarded the Academy's rules?"

The mana in Crawford's body began to stir. "Don't make me repeat myself. Go back so that the matches may continue."

"You... Don't tell me you actually condone his actions?"

"Now, now." August interjected with a yawn. "Professor Bradley, you're overreacting. No one got hurt, so just let this be water under the bridge."

"I agree. Let's not drag things on and ruin the Induction for our juniors." Evangeline added.

The corners of Bradley's lips involuntarily twitched. While he could afford to ignore Crawford, August and Evangeline's identities were far too special to overlook. With a large crowd standing witness, he would definitely ruin his standing as an esteemed professor if he pushed things any further.

Just what relation does this nameless kid have with these two? Bradley silently wondered and chose to relent. "Fine. I'll overlook things just this once. There won't be a second time!"

"Just another bootlicker!" Max quietly scoffed and turned to face August. "I'm not sure whether to thank you or punch you."

August chuckled, "Surprise me."

Worried that August was about to switch to battle mode, Evangeline hurriedly interjected. "You should check on Miss Walker."

Nodding, Max thanked Evangeline and quickly headed for the infirmary. He met Lewis on his way out and the two had a brief conversation regarding Amy's condition. Her wounds weren't nearly as bad as they had appeared.

Liliana was sitting by Amy's side, intently watching the latter take steady breaths.

"Stare any longer and you'll burn a hole right through her sheets!"

Max's words jolted Liliana into action. Her pent up worries seemed to evaporate as she looked at her familiar's expression of ease. Max's answers to her inquiries however, left her grinding her teeth. "To think we're in the same department as that jerk!"