Chapter 36 - The Devil and The Envoy Part 1

"That... That's not possible!" Karl turned to the Minister, dumbfounded. "Did you miss?"

Ignoring the blatant sarcasm, the Minister's expression turned grimmer by the second as he continued to unblinkingly stare at Max. He still remembered that sensation, that feeling of shredding Max's heart. And yet, Max was standing upright once more.

No, was this even the same teenager? Despite looking somnolent, his very presence seemed to pressure their souls and evoke fear. As a newly ascended Paladin, Albert's senses were the sharpest in the group. He could feel it in his heart, his mind and his soul. This was not an existence to be trifled with.

Surrounded by a vague air of inapproachability, Max issued another heavy sigh. Eyes gradually opening, he carefully observed the wounds on his arms and chest. He frowned, glancing indifferently at the four spectators, glowing with a faint shade of white under their watchful eyes. Flesh and bone rapidly regenerated accompanied by blood red sparks. Everyone stared in amazement as his injuries speedily disappeared and his face regained its usual ruddiness.

"No way..." Amy let the words slip.

His hemorrhaging curbed and his body healed, Max finally relaxed, turning his full attention to the four. As their gazes intersected, Amy instantly shuddered. Gulping, Julius instinctively pulled the future duchess behind him. He tightened his grip around his hidden knife, ready to stab out at a moment's notice. Karl felt his skin crawl. He involuntarily reached for his sword while the Minister tightened his hold on Liliana.

The unfathomable aura of supremacy slowly faded away. Looking as indolent as ever, Max stared at the group, his dark brown eyes transformed into a shade of bright red, his round pupils reduced to slits. Amy and Julius were ignored while he took a step towards the Minister. Quietly, he mouthed, "Let her go."

With his brows creased, the Minister stood his ground, trying to retain his image as a proud and powerful Paladin. Carefully, he asked back, "Who – What are you?"

Karl's thoughts were racing. Having weathered countless battles, he knew escape was an impossibility. Faced with this new Max, his instincts as a warrior told him one thing - his only chance at survival lay in taking the initiative.

Pushing his speed to the limits, Karl instantly appeared before Max. The entirety of his mana emptied onto his blade, he chopped down with all his strength. The simple swing decimated everything in its way, unleashing a torrent of energy as bright as the resplendent sun, its power capable of even killing an unguarded Grand Crusader.

His arms trembling from the sudden stress, Karl felt his grip on his sword weaken. Depleted of his mana, his body felt heavy and his legs like lead. He wore a bitter smile. "Make it painless." He muttered as hope receded from his eyes.

Max stood behind him, standing comfortably, unscathed. He chuckled with one hand firmly clasping Karl by the shoulder.

"Stop!" The Minster's yell sounded out a second too late.

Karl's bone-chilling scream echoed through the grounds. His arm ripped out, his face contorted in pain, he fell to his knees, blood spurting from his side, the sight of muscle and bone amid the constant outflow of blood creating a grotesque picture of gore. The sound of his sword falling was like a bell signalling the start of a nightmare. Clutching his shoulder, amidst his agony, he tried to stimulate the last vestiges of his mana in a futile attempt to hinder the bleeding. He gritted his teeth, hatefully looking up at Max, humiliation, fear and animosity filling his words. "You... You could ha - have just ta.. taken my life... Why -"

"Take your arm?" Max chuckled. "You ask me that after previously crippling both of mine? I think I've been plenty generous by taking only one of yours." He graciously explained before greeting Karl's face with his own foot. Shattering the man's jaw, he sent him flying. Karl landed miserably a few meters away, unconscious.