Chapter 29 - Secrets Part 2

Davis had been standing guard right outside Max's room. Through the cracks in the doorway, he secretly snuck glances at the young man as he kept track of the time. Taking a gander at his pocket watch, Davis estimated that the couple's conversation had neared its end. A distinct chime caused his expression to change. He had his orders. Waking Max, he said, "The Duke will see you now."

Annoyed, Max followed Davis, his brows constantly twitching. What's his deal? Thanks to him continuously peeping, I couldn't get any sleep.

The door to the Duke's study open, Davis respectfully gestured at Max to step inside.

Joseph met Max with a warm smile. He couldn't completely hide the subtle aura of melancholy as he watched Max enter. Shadow and Curtis were right. The resemblance was indeed disturbing. "Sit." He said, pointing at the couch while finding a seat opposite him. "I heard about what happened. How are you feeling?"

"Much better. Steve is an excellent healer."

"That's good to know. Then without further ado... Tell me everything." The warmth in Joseph's smile faded, suddenly reminding Max that the man before him was not only his friend's father, but also one of the Empire's four Dukes. "After all, there aren't many who dare impersonate my men and risk capital punishment."

"I understand." Max replied and began to recount the event to the best of his ability, only leaving out the part about the Minister.

Joseph frowned. It was easy to understand why the perpetrators would impersonate his men to try to assassinate Max. But what confounded him was the identity of the person behind the attempted assassination. Who would benefit from killing Max? How had Max offended someone enough to warrant his death? And who within the Empire had the pull to get the Academy's seal of approval? New questions had arisen and the reports he had read answered none of them.

"Well, you won't have to worry about anyone any longer." Joseph Walker muttered, poker-faced, calmly reassuring Max. "Such tactics only work with an element of surprise. No one will dare to act as long as I'm in the picture."

Max agreed. Even a person of the Minister's standing couldn't trifle with a Duke.

"Now then," Joseph continued in monotone, "Max, is there anyone who you suspect?"

"Not really." Max played dumb.

Joseph coldly smiled, carefully observing Max and keeping track of any changes in his countenance. "Six months ago, you became Liliana Lockwood's familiar. You made a name for yourself at the Induction and you singlehandedly saved my daughter from the man more commonly known as the Phantom." He reported. "Someone with significant power obviously wants you dead." Joseph's icily said. Leaning forward, he displayed obvious signs of hostility. "And you're telling me that nothing rings a bell? What about someone from your past? Anyone from before six months ago?"

"Eh?" The sudden change in the line of questioning caught Max by surprise. He faltered, alarm bells ringing in his head as he began to feel stifled, his instincts warning him of an imminent threat. The Duke had investigated him and for some reason was also showcasing animosity. Unsure of how he had offended this powerful noble, Max drew upon his every ounce of his acting experience and hid behind a light hearted smile. He said, "I really wouldn't know. I'm not sure if you're aware, but I have no memories on this planet from before six months ago."

Joseph looked at Max with a hint of amusement. He's nothing like the reports described. Is it an act?

He sighed, "I'm aware, but I suppose I still couldn't help be a little suspicious."