Rotten Candy (jk)

(A/N: hi. i can't believe there are people reading this. srsly, tho, i'm running on a sugar high and adrenaline rn (the people that know me know that's the way i go) and this is NOT gonna be a super sappy "OMG! thank you SO MUCH for reading my book!" kind of thing. Whenever I read that it makes me cringe, so...anyway. hi. it's super weird for me to have people reading my writing (for a long time i just kinda hid my writing away from everyone xD still kinda do) so this is...weird to me. like everything else in life. Anyway, if you have any suggestions pls tell me, comment, vote, etc., and whatever else you wanna do. I welcome rants, btw. i read lotsa books, so i rant a lot too. I feel like this has gone off the track a little ^^* so anyway thank you for reading this. Also please tell me whether you'd like the stories longer or shorter...it'd be helpful.

               Cardan Greenbriar, High King of Faerieland, is currently devouring three cotton candy tubs whole. I was going to get him the spun-on-the-stick ones, but the way he's eating it...spun ones are hecka expensive, so I'm glad I got him the tubs.

               All the rest of us have spun ones, and Oak has a cotton candy mustache (how does that even happen) as Cardan does also. It's so strange and strangely endearing seeing him like a kid, looking at the cotton candy with such adoration in his eyes. In Faerie, I know, he will be the "Wicked King" or whatever, but here, he gets to be a little kid and I'm kinda glad for it.

               Once Cardan finally looks up, he says one thing: "It tastes like rotten Faerie fruit. Stuffed over the brim with sugar. It's amazing." I want to question how he knows what rotten Faerie fruit tastes like, but he's back to stuffing his face. I roll my eyes, and am about to get back in line to get him another tub. 

               Suddenly, I see a dark shadow slip through the crowds, and I get a chill down my back. I subtly shake my head. I've had PTSD for a while. Mild, but it makes me see things sometimes, and I refuse to let that ruin today. 

               The afternoon sun is beating down on our faces, however. Oak notices me glancing at his pale skin, and holds out his arms, little more than sticks. I laugh and slather the white cream all over his arms, shoulders and face. Cardan the cotton candy glutton looks up from his feast and frowns.

               "Why can't you do that for me?" I sigh. 

               "Your skin won't burn; you're Fae. And also, I wouldn't believe you were a kid anymore, so...do it yourself," I say, sticking the bottle in his cotton-candy-ridden face. Cardan seems to come to his senses and rummages around for the wet wipes, finds one, and wipes the cotton candy remnants of his face. 

               I look around for Vivi and Heather, one problem solved. I see Vivi playing a carnival game, in which she wins (of course) and gives the stuffed animal to Heather. As I head over to them, Vivi says something that makes Heather laugh. She plants a kiss on Vivi's cheek, and I see a middle-aged white woman wrinkling her brow in disgust. 

               I can already feel the beginnings of rage stir up in my gut, and I swear, if she says one more thing about- "how dare you show that kind of-of-Satan  (A/N: ik it's wrong grammar but Wattpad said satanry wasn't a word so...and I have a limited vocab in which idk if its a word so...) in such a public place. My children are watching!" she says as she holds up a bejeweled, wrinkled hand up to her chest.

              Okay. That's it. I push through the crowd and come walking straight into the middle. Cardan doesn't try to hold me back. Probably too confused to what's happening. In Faerie, fae choose different lovers every night. A different revel, a different lover. But here, in the mortal world, it's safe to say that things are...different.

              "Do not talk like that to my sister."

              "So you agree with this-this-filth?"

               "I say nothing on the topic. If you were dissing my sister about her clothes, I would do the same. If you were dissing her about her game skills, I'd do the same. So say another shitty word about my sister, and you will discover that in worlds nay of yours do not settle issues the same way. They play. And you may discover you are displeased by our games." I give the shocked woman a vulgar gesture, and storm through the frozen crowd,  grabbing Heather and Vivi. 

               I trust Oak and Cardan will follow, using Heather's bright pink hair as a marker through the heads of brown and blonde. Oh glory. Oak saw it. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Cardan pushing through all the people with Oak in tow. Once they get here, Oak lets out a nervous laugh. 

               "Can we have pizza?"

==================================

               Oak is shoving scalding hot pieces of cheese pizza down his throat, glugging down milk on the occasion he chokes. Heather is barely picking at her chicken wing, and Vivi is talking to her in a hushed tone, no doubt trying to reconcile her.

               In these ways, Faerie is better than this world. Fae are cruel and unforgiving and capricious, everything but judgemental. Oh well. Their world, their rules. And I am too busy to work on world conquering. Faerie is enough for me, the world I hated and loved and nevertheless grew up in.

              I wrinkle my brow. Here I am, in an amusement park, surrounded by innocents who have probably not spilled a drop of blood the entirety of their whole lives, and I am thinking of Faerie. I shake my head infinitesimally, smiling. Cardan notices and nudges me, and I send a silent call for help. I want this to be fun. Unfortunately, I was never the best at these things, cheering up a mood. This the sole thing Cardan can do, he gets my hint and claps his hands.

               "Well...let's have fun!" Oak immediately brightens, and I cannot help but laugh. If those words had been uttered from my mouth, it would have been all awkward silence and uncomfortable gaze-adverting. The mortal world does bring the better side out of Cardan.