Roller Boast-er

(A/N: hi. most people (as in 2/3) said that they would rather continue on with the plot, so here we are. but KatNeary (sorry, idk how to make them orange XD) suggested that i put the fluff/smut stuff at the end of the story, and i think that's a good idea, so here we go.

i might not be able to update AS often, bc my school has adapted to a new learning program and adjusting and whatever.

also, sorry if jude is a little too sassy. i've been reading aelin and i'm in a sass mood.)

I'm pissed. 

Mostly because the happy, normal mortal day I was supposed to have with my family was ruined by a not-happy, not-normal, Fae that decided wrecking my life would be a fun idea.

So now I'm too paranoid to do anything except keep an eye on my family at all times. 

But of course, the ever-opposite of me, Cardan somehow gets it in his head that he wants to ride a roller coaster. I can't say no, right? I mean, we came here for that. 

So while Heather, Vivi, and Oak go to get some funnel cake, to my complaint, I have to ride the roller coaster with him.

"I'm great at scary things," Cardan puffs, boasting his ever-bravery. Not. It's so...weird to see him like this. Fighting to be happy and normal. For both of us, and because we deserve it before we go back into the swirls and eddies of chaos in Elfhame. Oh holy lord save me.

I roll my eyes. "Right. The cruel, sneering prince having to prove to me that he can ride roller coasters? Sounds more like a roller boast-er."

"Ooh, Jude is making pretty poems!" he calls out, faking oblivion to my embarrassment. 

"Shut up, and get in line." I start pushing him towards the roller coaster line, knowing he's too lazy to walk and use his legs when he can get his wife to push him.

The line is long. And it doesn't help that the nagging in my gut is turning into a gnawing, into a chomping, until there is none of my stomach left, only a hole in replacement. 

The world channels into one tiny thing in the matter of seconds, looming and closing in. I see blood and people and a black hissing serpent. The sky seems too close. The floor seems far away. I drop, expecting not to find anything, but instead I find little pinpricks of pain in my hands, gravel embedded in my palms.

Things went wrong so quickly. Things are going wrong so quickly. Cardan is right in front of me, but for a second, all I can see is the hissing serpent, it's head flying off as I beheaded it. He blurs, a mere black-and-white blurb. 

There's something in my ear. "Get on your ass." I do as it says.

"Put your knees up." I do as he says.

"Put your head between your legs." I do as the king says.

"Focus on one point of the sidewalk." I do as Cardan says. I focus on a little piece of gravel, a peculiar red color, shining brighter than any other. 

When I look up, the line is gaping at me. Flushed, I mutter an apology, rambling out an excuse of PTSD. They've already turned from me though. What a relief. I look back at the red piece of gravel, picking it out of the other pebbles. 

A golden loop follows it out. It takes me a second to realize that what I was looking at was not a piece of red stone. It was a ruby. And it is a ruby ring. It is a marriage ring.

How do I know it's a marriage ring?

I've seen it on Madoc's finger.

(A/N: please don't blow up the comments talking about how it's a human tradition, i know, but...yknow. pretend or sumthin. maybe madoc liked that part of human culture and decided to use it in his and oriana's marriage. idk)