Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

~Tamara Rose

"But-ter. This is called but-ter. Say it with me, now. Bu...bu...you do still remember the alphabet, righ? You know, a is for apple, b is for butter, c is fo--"

The red-headed girl that had been hanging around since last night smacked the guy sitting at the edge of my bed on the back of his head. He feigned hurt, grabbing his head as if she'd struck him with a bat and pouting up at her.

"Lizzie!" he gasped.

"Eric," she snapped back, rolling her eyes. "She lost her memory--she's not brain dead. For Pete's sake, stop treating her like a four year old."

His pout deepened as he slouched down slightly in his wheelchair, dropping the spoon of butter he'd been holding back onto his food tray. "I was just trying to jog her memory," he muttered.

Lizzie simply shook her head, but I could see her trying to fight back a smile. It was a sweet sight. I couldn't remember these people, but it was nice to see their relationship was so close that they were able to banter about stupid things like this. I wasn't used to such kind pack members.

After all, my own pack members treated me like a maid.

The thought dinmmed my mood, drawing a slight frown to my face. I looked down at the tray of food a nurse had brought in for me a few minutes ago. A limp salad, a piece of anorexic fish, and a can of soda.

I picked up the soda and drained it in a single gulp.

When I set the can down, I was surprised to see the guy and the girl grinning back at me.

Shifting uncomfortably in my bed, I muttered, "Um, did I do something wrong...?"

"No, no!" the girl (What was her name? Lindsay? Lauren?) quickly reassured me. "It's just that...do you remember how you used to raid Eric's fridge every night when you needed a cafeine boost? And you would steal all his Dr Pepper and he'd chase you around the yard until you finally gave up and let him tickle you as revenge?"

I stared at her hopeful face, feeling terrible for not having the slightest clue what she was talking about. Opening and closing my mouth, I looked helplessly at the guy sitting on my bed.

"Isn't...that Eric?" I asked hesitantly.

His shoulders slumped at my question, defeat and depression chasing each other across his expression. "Aw, Rosie, come on! Honestly, I get why you wouldn't be able to remember someone boring like Jordan or Mark, but me? How could you forget this?"

I couldn't help it--I laughed.

The sound brought a grin to both the girl and Eric's faces, as well. The three of us laughed together, and for a moment it almost did feel like I knew them.

The door suddenly opened, and Dylan walked in.

My smiled immediately slipped from my face and I bowed my head respectfully. "Alpha Dylan," I muttered. From the corner of my eye, I saw Eric wince at my remark. What was so strange about me greeting my Alpha?

Dylan was gritting his teeth, too, however. "Tamara Rose, I told you to stop calling me that."

I frowned at him. "You once told me if I were ever to treat you with disrespect, you would send me to bed without dinner. Now, you don't want me to call you by your title?"

He pinched his forehead, anger snapping in his dark eyes. "That was before."

"Before what?" I asked.