Four

Remus stood at the front of the classroom and Harry could tell that he already had the attention of the whole class. He clasped his hands together before speaking.

"Today I felt that we would cover werewolves. Over the next month we will look over how werewolves live. After that, we will move onto vampires. Once we have finished with creature like beings, we will move onto curses and duelling until Yule break. After Yule, we will begin revising any topics that you wish to cover in preparation for your N.E.W.T.s. Any questions?" A few questions were asked, concerning tests that would be taken and what would be covered concerning werewolves and vampires. Once the questions finished, Remus instructed the class to take notes while he spoke.

"Werewolves are made out to be vicious, cruel monsters. This is untrue. Werewolves are simply either withes or wizards or muggles for majority of the year, other than the night of the full moons. When the full moon is in the sky, a werewolf is forced into a wolf form. Werewolves have the option of taking wolfsbane potion and most do. The potion allows them to retain their human mind while in wolf form, rather than being taken over by wolf instincts.

"Many werewolves live in packs. They live with other werewolves so that during transformations they aren't lonely and also so that they have other people surrounding them that understand what they go through every month. Can anyone tell me how packs are structures?" Remus looked around to see everyone with parchment covered in notes in front of them. Everyone but Harry. Harry was simply staring at him, eyes partially glossed over. No one raised their hand, not even Hermione who always had her hand up.

"Harry, can you tell me how a werewolf pack is structured?" Harry looked up at his words.

"Werewolf packs are structured similarly to normal wolf packs. There is an Alpha and the Alpha's mate, the leaders of the pack. The Betas are just below the Alphas in ranking, being second in command. If the Alphas are absent, then the Betas are in charge of the pack. Within the pack, each wolf has a role of their own. Hunters and gatherers find food for the pack, while warriors defend the pack from enemies and threats. Healers fix any injuries while also protecting the cubs of the pack. Those three are the most common roles and are found in every werewolf or normal wolf pack. There are also other roles that are only seen in some packs, such as spy or trainer." Harry droned out and to Remus, his voice sounded dull and uninterested. He nodded.

"Correct. Within packs, cubs are precious. Parents are extremely protective of their cubs, as is any member of the pack. Werewolves will do anything to protect ones they consider cubs. Some werewolves don't live in a werewolf pack. They prefer to be lone wolves or make packs within their own families and friends. Cubs aren't always werewolves; they can be any child that a werewolf care for.

"You can identify a werewolf by their eyes. A werewolf's eyes range from amber to golden, and glow when the wolf is near the surface. Another way to identify who a werewolf is, is by how they react around a full moon. The days leading up to a full moon will make the werewolf particularly grumpy, as well as causing their whole body to be in pain as their body prepares for the transformation. After the full moon, the werewolf will be injured from the transformation, from ripping their skin apart to make room for their new body. They will be tired from roaming as a wolf the whole night, as well as being extremely hungry.

"Transformations into the wolf during full moons are extremely painful as the whole-body changes. Humans can't be around a werewolf during the full moon as a werewolf can't tell the difference between friend and enemy. The human around a werewolf risks being bitten and turned into a werewolf, or being mauled to death, depending on how much control the human mind has over the wolf mind. The only way to safely be around a werewolf during the full moon is to be in an Animagus form. As an Animagus, werewolf bites will not turn you into a werewolf and a werewolf is more docile around other animals than around humans."