Family

Hex

“No, I will be there..”

“But how? I mean after what they both did how can you support them? Luciana will give birth to the damn antichrist. Can you even imagine?” Siri chirps out sounding quite amused. We had been friends for several years now even though her and Luciana work together.

“Poor child, its totally not its fault. I will be an awesome aunt even if I hate the parents.”
I hear my front door unlocking before opening and closing. Adrian comes by every few days and stays over to cuddle. We haven't kissed again and he has gotten a bit less touchy but I think we are closer now. I adjust myself on the sofa and look up to his charming smile.

“I just can’t picture her with kids. She is so selfish and basic.” Siri laughs. “Did you know her last three assistants had nervous breakdowns? She is a monster.”

“She might grow up, it could help. Children can change people.” I chuckle. “Though knowing Luciana she will have a nanny to do everything and she wont rest till her pre baby weight is back. The poor kid will have to get all its love from Johnny.”

“What time are you in tomorrow night?”

“Six-ish. We are staying at the hotel attached to the hall…” My sister had rented a whole damn hall for her announcement which seemed ridiculous, she couldn’t have that many guests.

“Wait…We?” she squeals excitedly in my ear and I have to pull away from the phone.

Adrian sits next to me on the sofa, pulling my legs over his lap with a grin. He looks relieved after a moment and lays against my shoulder. I just smile before turning my attention back to the call.

“Yeah. I was told to bring a date.”

“Well…yeah, I just didn’t think you would.. not after Johnny pulled this shit.” Her voice is tinged with sadness. “He really hurt you. I was really worried at first but I am glad you are doing better now. A date though, damn.”

I know Adrian is listening by the sudden confusion on his scrunched features but I continue. “That is the reason I need to have one isnt it? Truthfully I am a fucking mess, still, but no one else needs to know that. I need to instead show them that I don’t care about this, that I wont be hurt by her, that he isnt everything. I have to show that I don’t care about either of them. My fucked upness is all on me, I made my choices and I wouldn't change them.”

“But what about…”

“No fuck it. I don’t care anymore. I know exactly what those two are going to pull. They want to humiliate me, I can take it. They want to break me, too fucking late. But damn it, I have glued myself back together to many times to even crack at their bullshit. ” Its true, nothing they could say this weekend would surprise me. I hadn't spoken to Johnny since I left his house that day but Luciana called about once a month to shove her pilfered life in my face. At first it hurt but now I just cant bring myself to care, I am better off without them.

“So what's his name then? Who is this mystery man you are bringing?” Siri prods, knowing I wont answer.

“Adrian.” He states loudly before yawning and curling closer to me.

I laugh and start to run my fingers through his shaggy blonde hair.

“Oh so mystery man is there now? Interesting… Does he know about what he is walking into?”

“Some..”

“Good luck girl. See you tomorrow night?”

“Yeah. Tomorrow night. We can get dinner or something.”