Chapter 5: "It's Destiny"

Opening her skull and crossbones compact, Pilar inhaled a breath as she pulled her dark brown hair back in a ponytail and adjusted her glasses. In the mirror her make-up was very alternative gothic, a look she had been going for.

Wearing a silver and dark purples eye shadow and black lipstick, she straightened her nose ring before straightening her lacey, long black dress that she layered with several pagan necklaces from pentagrams, Celtic symbols, and skulls. In her ears, she wore the small diamond star earrings her father gave her and waved goodbye to him from the driveway of the lavish looking house as his taxicab took him to the airport.

Pointing her finger to ring the bell, she heard a sweet, familiar voice behind her.

"Is that little Pilar Pacheco?"

Turning her back around, she watched as Aja and Craig Philips march up the driveway dressed in designer duds. Pilar squealed with delight as she ran to embrace them.

"Auntie Aja! Uncle Craig!"

The married couple embraced the young woman as they released each other to get a better look at one another.

"My God! You've grown so tall!" Aja giggled.

"You definitely got your height from Rio!" Craig teased. "He didn't tell me you'd be attending!"

Aja folded her arms and clucked her tongue. "Don't blame the man. Rio's a workaholic! He's got a lot on his mind especially with our investors in Japan. Remember, Craig, it was your idea for him to finalize the deal for our company since you didn't want to go."

"Okay, Aja," Craig sighed. "You got a point. Let's not dwell on that. Mary went to a lot of trouble for this dinner so we're going to have a good time." He extended his arms to both women. "Shall we?"

The pair happily accepted as marched toward the front door.

"My friend Dee invited me," she explained. "He wanted some company for your sister's dinner party."

"Well I'm glad," Craig smiled. "Mary's guests can be soooo dull."

"Be nice," Aja warned her husband. "They're our potential future investors. We're going to mingle."

Craig pushed the doorbell as a well-dressed Mary Phillips answered the door decked out to the nines. She hugged the couple as she greeted them.

"Aja! Craig! You came!" Her eyes then turned toward Pilar. "And you must be Pilar. Dee told me you would be coming. You don't remember me but I'm your Aunt Mary. I first saw you when you were baby. How's your mother, Jerrica?" She led the trio into the foyer of the house.

"Mom's doing really well," said Pilar. "Being a New York City corporate executive for Virtue keeps her really busy."

"I've heard," smiled the brunette woman. "Come and let's meet everyone."

The former Misfit dragged her brother and sister-in-law into the living room where a group of high society folks gathered to meet the multi-billion dollar-power couple and co-owners of MicroApple. Lifting her face away from all the hoopla, Pilar shifted her gaze toward a familiar red head who raced toward her.

"Pilar!" The red headed woman held her tight. "Jerrica said you were town! Why haven't you visited me?"

"Sorry Aunt Kimber," the blue eyed teen grinned. "I've been busy settling in, adjusting to school, and trying to get things together."

"Don't pester your niece!" A brown-haired Hispanic woman frowned. She extended her hand. "Your Tia Kimber can be quite immature! Hi I'm..."

"Raya Alonso!" Pilar shook her hand. "You're one of the original Holograms and a drummer. My mother was friend of yours."