Chapter 14: "Surprise, Surpise"

Endless nervousness surrounded all the contestants for the reality competition of Pop Factor.

Ten groups dressed in their gimmicky clothes and sporting crazy styles watched backstage as the television personality and media host Cindy Tucker came on the platform to start the show.

Judges Lena Lerner, Luna Dark, and Johnny Deacon each took their positions at the desk as they prepared for the show to begin. They too sympathized with the anxious emotions of the contestants. Competing on a show like this on a grand scale was nerve wracking.

Soon the lights dimmed, the music swelled, and the dark blonde hostess in designer, evening dress took to the stage and smiled for cameras.

"Hello and welcome to Pop Factor! I'm your hostess Cindy Tucker!" Cindy waved to the audience.

"Tonight, we have ten bands competing to see who will make it to the semi-finals. Only three will be chosen by you the viewers to go into the final round where two groups will go against each other in the ultimate battle of the bands! One will be selected via through your phone calls to decide who will win Pop Factor! Without further ado, let's meet our judges!"

She pointed to an African American woman who impeccably dressed. "Grammy award winner and international soul artist, Lena Lerner!"

Lena stood up and waved to the cheering crowd.

"Next to her is pop diva and dance music extraordinaire, Luna Dark!"

Luna, in her provocative ensemble, blew a kiss to the cameras.

"Finally rounding out the judges table is rock musician and critically acclaimed recording artist, Johnny Deacon!"

Johnny his famous white sleeveless tee and bandana tossed a fist pump to his adoring fans.

All three returned to their seats for the show to begin.

"To start off the show right, let's give it up for our first performers!" Cindy announced. "Hailing from Chicago, let's give it up for Tool Time!"

The group Tool Time took to the stage and began to play as the rest of the performers discussed final ideas backstage. Pilar gathered with her bandmates of Starlight as she offered some words of wisdom.

"Okay, guys, we can do this!" She offered support to them. "We've gotten this far! All we have to do is to give one hundred ten percent of ourselves."

"Claro que, Pilar!" Flo Jaurez smiled. Dressed in some stylish leggings and flattering tunic top, the sixteen-year old Latina grew anxious, as she cracked her fingers to prepare herself for the keyboards.

"How's my hair?" Cynthia patted her dark curls. She chose an Afro-centric flowing dress with black leggings and brown boots.

"Faaaabulous!" Dee laughed. He too looked marvelous in a pink blazer, skinny jeans, and simple V-neck tee. He had spiked his blond hair and added bits of black streaks for fun.

"Uh-oh, here comes trouble." Sam Newark pointed as the Rioters led the way with Desiree at the front.

Wearing a lime and pink jumpsuit with a matching zebra print scarf and belt, the spoiled seventeen-year old sneered at Pilar's friends.

"Oh lookee!" Desiree signaled to her band members. "Looks like the loser club is here! Isn't that right?" She gestured to her so-called friends for back-up. None of them responded as they glanced in their direction with looks of pity and sympathy on their faces.

Desiree emphasized her point. "I SAID AREN'T THESE GUYS LOSERS?"

Again, none of them made a mean comment.