Chapter 10: "Winning is Everything"

Rehearsals for Pop Factor went underway. Both, The Rioters and Starlight sat in the audience as they observed their competitors on stage. A total of ten bands include the two displayed their talents onstage as a worried Pilar wondered if they had a chance to win this competition.

Seated in her gothic black clothes and dark make-up, the sixteen-year old pushed back her glasses as she took notes on each of the contestants shared them with her bandmates.

"What are you writing?" Dee asked noticing her jotting something on her note pad.

"Taking down some ideas," she replied to her best friend. "The competition is stiff, and we need all the feedback we can get."

"I agree," said Cynthia. The African American girl pointed to the notepad. "The last band, Marlena and The Microwaves, have an amazing lead guitarist."

Flo Juarez jumped in. "And let's not forget Tool Time. That drummer can really bang a beat!"

"The Rioters aren't half bad either," Sam also added. "Desiree has really improved on her vocals. Plus, her parents are promoting them like crazy so the viewers can vote for them."

"Well we our own talents to rely on," argued Dee. "Plus, we have Pilar here...I mean Jax to help us win this completion. She's our secret weapon."

An announcement echoed throughout the theater.

"STARLIGHT, PLEASE COME TO THE STAGE TO PERFORM!"

Pilar put away her notepad and followed her friends. Finding a secluded spot behind the curtains, she clutched her diamond earrings and whispered.

"Showtime Jem!"

Small light flashed and standing backstage was a pink haired Jax wearing fashionable leggings, heels, a flowing top, and jacket. She crossed to the microphone and signaled to the other members of Starlight to begin.

Just as I believe, in you my friend

I believe things work out in the end

Sure as there's a moon and stars above

I believe in happy endings. I believe in love!

Applause came from her fellow contestants in the audience as they cheered the pink haired young woman with a mix of appreciation, respect, and envy over her and her fellow band member's musical talents. Deep down, they knew that Starlight was the group to beat.

"BOO! YOU GUYS SUCK!"

Desiree and her cronies jeered as Jagger put his head down in shame. Jax and her friends ignored the criticism and left the stage. As soon as they were off the platform, Pilar still her disguise offered them comfort and support.

"Ignore them." She told her bandmates. "They're just trying to bait us."

Dee and his friends returned to the audience as Pilar in her Jax persona excused herself into the hallway to make a phone call. Finding a secluded spot, she whipped out her cell and dialed her father.

"Pilar!" Rio answered excitedly. "How's rehearsals going for the band?"

"Good." She answered. "Though the competition is stiff. There's plenty of talented groups out here. We're a bit intimidated."

"Well you're just as good as they are. Even more so." Her father emphasized. "Keep your eye on the ball and stay focused. By the way, how's your new lead singer Jax working out?"