Chapter 20: "Gimme a Gimmick"

Pilar Pacheco woke up with excitement.

Tonight, was the night of the ultimate battle of the bands competition, Pop Factor, as her new group Starlight Riot had been rehearsing for days the songs, they were going to perform for the final showdown against Desiree Raymond's newly formed group, Desire.

Publicity had been swirling around the spoiled rich girl's band as she recruited professional musicians to be her back-up. She had gotten bassist Audrey O'Toole of The Limp Lizards, hired lead guitarist Gordan Light of The Space Cadets, keyboard player Juno Heinz of The Leatherettes, and drummer Billy Grimes of Tool Time. With all these experienced musicians behind her, Desiree was an unstoppable force.

Meanwhile, Starlight Riot held their own as a small gathering of supporters from CHAPA and online fans began sending her positive messages through her e-mail. She knew that her group had a chance to win.

Sending a fresh bouquet of flowers to Cynthia and Flo in the hospital, she made one more last-minute visit to both her friends who wanted to be updated on the band's upcoming performance.

"So, is it true that you guys have to do a medley?" Cynthia asked.

Pilar smiled. "It's true. Jagger chose three songs that would best fit this new group."

"You'll do great!" Flo cheered from her bed. "Muy bien! How are you and The Rioters getting along?"

"Surprisingly well." The Pilar nodded. "They're actually nice people. It was Desiree's evil that was influencing them. Pia does have her opinions, but she tries to work with us. Peter and Dee are always busy making out and I think Sherry and Sam are starting a thing!"

Cynthia's mouth widened. "Sherry and Sam? I'm so behind the gossip! I didn't think those two would ever get together!"

"They have a lot of baggage to get through but I'm rooting for them." She smiled. "As for me and Jagger, we're as happy as we can be! I only wish you two were with us to perform in the group!"

"Claro que!" Flo laughed. She tried to move her broken arm in a cast. "As you can see, there's no chance that me or Cynthia can play an instrument, but mira we'll watch the show from the television!"

"I'm going to make sure all the medical staff votes for you guys!" Cynthia giggled.

Pilar gently hugged them both and left their room. Their support meant so much to her and she was determined not to let them down.

She was going to give her all to her performance.

Taking a cab back to her father's Malibu home, she dropped the house keys near the end table by the front door as she scanned for her parents inside. Apparently, no one was around.

"Mom? Daddy? I'm home!" She called out.

No answer.

She heard giggling down the hall and went to investigate. Crossing toward her father's bedroom, she saw her mother retreat from his room with her blonde hair a mess and wearing nothing but Rio's dress shirt.

Pilar gasped. "Mom?"

"Pilar?" Jerrica blushed in surprise. "I didn't expect you home so soon!" She tried to cover herself.

Rio Pacheco exited the chamber, shirtless but still wearing a pair of jeans. He looked away from his daughter in embarrassment. "Um...uh...Pilar. We can explain!"

A huge smile formed on the sixteen-year old's face. "Does that mean you two are back together?"

Jerrica covered her mouth and grinned. "I guess...yeah Pilar. Your father and I..."