Chapter 8: The Search

On the drive back to the house, we come upon Sam's Pub. As Talion pulls in, he looks at me, and I nod.

Maybe they know where Dan went last night.

Driving through to the packed parking lot, we see that Dan's F-150 pickup is now parked here. Excitement fills me, knowing he is alive.

If Dan is in there drunk, I will not be mad and just hug him. Lord knows, when he hears the business is gone, my husband will be destroyed. I am just glad he was not in the office fire and the rest will work itself out. Dan is alive, and that is all I care about right now.

Jumping out of Talion's truck, I run inside to find my husband and bring him home.

Stepping inside the dirty establishment, I glance around and had forgotten how gross it is in here. There are several people inside, and they all look at me as I enter.

"Dan! Has anyone seen Dan Astaroth? I need to find my husband?" I yell for all to hear.

Talion comes in behind me and they all point to him, as I shake my head in total frustration.

Jesus Christ, he has to be here.

Then I add, "No, this is his twin brother. I need to find Dan! Dan Astaroth! Has anyone seen my husband?"

"Cece, come back to my office. We need to talk." Sam shouts over me, looking rather upset.

"Sam, where is my husband? Where's Dan? I need to talk to him." I say nervously.

He replies, "Please Cece, just follow me. Talion, bring Cece into the back, now."

Walking to the back office, I have a terrible feeling that I'm about to hear what everyone has been trying to tell me. I'm glad Talion is with me, but this is going to break my heart. His brother grabs my hand and we walk together. Glancing up at him, Talion smiles sweetly, like he already knows the truth.

When Sam shuts the door, he turns to me and says softly, "Cecelia, I don't know where Dan is, but you need to keep calm, after I tell you what I do know. There are two men out there who walked in after driving his truck here. I have a feeling they stole it last night. I've already tried calling the chief on my radio, but he's not answering. No one at the firehouse is picking up and I don't know why."

Talion says angrily, "Which ones?"

I state, "Pat has been murdered and the rest of the department is sifting through the ashes at our office. That just burned down. Have you seen Dan today? What did my husband say last night, when he was here?"

Sam answers me by saying, "My God... Yes, he was here, but left right after Talion did, after his drink was gone. As for the men, I don't know them, so they are not from around here."

"Well, no one is coming to help, so I will ask them myself. Point them out to me, Sam." Talion says angrily.

He goes into the desk drawer and pulls out two sets of cuffs. Sam hands them to Talion. And I'm not sure what the plan is?

What are we going to do with these guys? Lock them in here?

"Do you have a gun?" Sam asks, and Talion shakes his head no.

Again, he opens another drawer, then hands one to Talion and keeps the second for himself. Watching all of this, I'm terrified for them both and worried these men have killed my husband.

Talion says sternly, "Cece, you are going to stay right here, and once this is over, I will come for you. Do you understand? Do not come out of this office, for any reason. Promise me?"