Chapter 22

"Why are we getting a tent?" I asked Laura as we walked into a camping store.

"We're not getting a tent!" She laughed. "We're getting you a jacket?"

"A camping jacket?"

"Well, yes, but most people wear them even when they're not camping. They're called puffer jackets."

"Oh. Like a puffer penguin?" I asked. She laughed again and shook her head.

"These." She held up a thick black jacket.

"Oh." I nodded. I had seen people in them before, but I didn't realise they had such a strange name.

"They're really warm." Laura told me. "Which colour do you like best?"

"The black one I think." I told her after observation.

"Okay, easy. That one goes with everything and since they're difficult to wash you won't really be able to see if you drop something on it."

We tried on a few different sizes and she took a photo of me when it was massive on me. She kept laughing and even though I thought it was strange I couldn't help myself from smiling too.

"You have the prettiest smile." She told me. I didn't know what to say, so I just smiled back at her.

We finally went and paid for the jacket that actually did fit me, and then went to our fourth and final store.

"Chemist?" I frowned as we walked in.

"Don't worry." She smiled, taking me to the soap aisle. She helped me choose some body soaps, face washes, moisturiser and lip balm. I had no idea why I needed any of them, but she told me I'd get used to using them. I at least thought they smelt nice. Finally after nearly 4 hours of shopping, we went into the bakery to get bread and then went home. The house looked even bigger driving back in daylight. I didn't know if I was ever going to comprehend that this is where I live now.

I had a cheese sandwich when we got home, and Laura had some leftover pasta.

"Should we have a house tour?" Laura grinned. I quickly nodded.

"Firstly, where's the bathroom?" I asked, realising I hadn't been all day.

"Great place to start! Have you seen the one in your room?" She asked. I shook my head and we went back to my room. The first of the two doors opened to a small but neat bathroom, with a shower, toilet, mirror and sink. I quickly did my business and went back into the central room.

"That shelf will soon be able to be filled with some books and that empty space there can be for a desk we'll get you on Monday." Laura told me.

"What's behind that door?" I asked, pointing to the other door on the side of the bathroom.

"Open it." She grinned. I walked over to the other door and opened it. Inside was a small room that was lined with shelves and racks. It was a wardrobe and to me, felt almost as fancy as Mia's in The Princess Diaries. "When our tour is done, we can fill it with all these new clothes!"

Laura then showed me her room, which was right next door to mine. It was similar but much bigger and had fancier furniture. Then she showed me the living room, including where the TV remote was and how to use the TV in case, I ever felt like it. Then she showed me the downstairs bathroom which was for anyone's use, as well as the kitchen, pantry and dining room. I found out that the two rooms lining the hallway that went to the front door were Chris and Laura's offices. Laura's was lined with books everywhere and had a comfy couch and desk. Chris's had posters of eyes everywhere which led me to thinking that an optometrist might be an eye doctor. There was no way I was going to ask though.

Next we went upstairs. There was another bathroom, identical to the downstairs one, and an empty room. There were a total of seven rooms upstairs, five of them each belonging to one boy. I had a quick peek into each one, although they all had identical layouts. None of them were clean, to which Laura rolled her eyes to, but I didn't mind. The room that stood out the most was River's, because it had a large chair and screen set up. I didn't know what it was for but none of the other rooms had it. I also remembered Ryan's room, because he was the only one with a full bookshelf. I felt like this house had more books than the library back there had.

After my tour, Laura and I were going through the bags of clothing we'd bought and putting it away in my wardrobe, when a loud voice called out.

"Laura! Are you here?" It was a female voice.

"Uh oh." Laura whispered. "Just stay in here for a moment." I was worried she didn't want me there, but the realisation occurred moments later after hearing Laura say, "Elyse! What are you doing here?"

"I came a few days ago but you weren't here! You didn't tell me you were going away." Elyse huffed.

"Sorry, I just had some urgent business."

"Urgent business?" Elyse scoffed. "Like what?"

"This wasn't how I wanted to do it. I wanted to make it a better surprise but follow me." I heard the footsteps and voices approaching before the two ladies appeared at my door.

Elyse's eyes widened as she saw me. She was almost the spitting image of Laura. Her eyes flickered back and forth between Laura and I before she started crying.

"Ashlyn." She sobbed.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I just wanted to make sure she was staying for good. I promise she's not going anywhere." Laura comforted Elyse, hugging her tight and smiling at me. When Elyse finally began to calm down, she let go of Laura and came to hug me.

"I can't believe you're alive." She told me.

"She's fine, Elyse. She's with us now." Laura smiled.

"You are going to be the most spoilt girl in this entire family." Elyse told me, laughing and wiping away her tears. "I can't stay, as much as I'd like to. I have to get back to work."

"Are you coming tomorrow?" Laura asked.

"For sure. I wouldn't miss it. Are you coming, Ash?" Elyse asked me.

"I think so." I answered, speaking to her for the first time. I liked her already.

"Yay. I'll see you both tomorrow then." She smiled.