Chapter 66

I was exhausted by the end of all our rides. Even though it wasn't even lunch time yet, I was completely ready for a full night's sleep.

Once we were done, we grabbed our stuff and left, heading to the car. I'm sure the boys would have been happy to stay, but I was about to fall asleep and we were at the end of our session anyway. I slept the entire way back, not even waking when someone carried me from the car to the couch.

I was woken up about 2 hours after we'd left, by Nick, who said I'd never sleep at night if I constantly slept through the day. Although I was determined to, and was convinced, I could prove him wrong, I did wake up, but didn't move from the couch. Jonah and Austin sat nearby, making sure I didn't fall back asleep whilst they were watching the TV. I didn't see what was so interesting about watching cars drive the same loops over and over, but they called it entertainment anyway.

Later, Elyse came home, which was the first time I'd seen her since mum and dad had left. She told us all about her work and what she'd been doing. She was only staying for 2 more nights since Nick didn't think her staying over was necessary and she had things to do as well. After eating food and relaxing for a bit longer, she took me to my training session with Teddy.

Since today's session was at the park, Elyse didn't go home and instead went to the nearby shopping centre to get some clothes and food for herself. Teddy was really well behaved, and the trainer said I'd definitely be able to take him home in the next few days, which I couldn't wait for at all.

"Excited to be able to bring Teddy home?" Elyse asked on the drive home. We were stopping by her house to drop off what she'd bought before going to my home for dinner.

"It's going to be so much fun!" I said we pulled up in the driveway. She lived in a modern complex, with lots of fancy apartments. There were still signs saying welcome, so I figured the building was quite new. "How long have you lived here?" I asked.

"Not long. Only a few weeks actually." We went inside, past the weird reception area. It kind of felt like a hotel.

Her apartment was really nice, with clean furniture, all matching a grey and white colour scheme. I would personally put a bit more colour around, but I still really liked it.

"This is for you by the way. I kept meaning to bring it over, but I've been so caught up in the move and sometimes life just gets in the way." She rambled, handing me a gift.

I carefully unwrapped it, being careful not to rip the pretty paper, which was aqua with pretty flamingos. I did an assignment on them in school one year, I think. School is a bit of a blur.

Inside was a book, complete with a glossy aqua and gold cover. It was textured, with dots and lines, and each dragonfly was detailed and elegant. I gasped and smiled as I ran by hands across the cover, savouring the feel and smell. Something about new books, especially ones that looked like this, was comforting and made me feel calm.

"I saw the cover and just had to buy it."

"Thankyou so much." I hugged her. I didn't really know Elyse very well, but I knew she was there for my mum and brothers when they needed her most, and that was all I needed to know for now.

"Might give you a peaceful break from your brothers." She winked.

As we were leaving, my phone started ringing, giving me a good fright. Elyse couldn't help but laugh as I answered.

"Hi honey!" Mum exclaimed.

"Mum!"

"Look where we are." Dad took the phone, spinning the camera to show the view from their room. There were so many pretty lights and it was generally just amazing to look at.

"Is that snow?" I asked, looking closer.

"Sure is. We'll bring you here one day." I smiled at that, then kept talking. I gave them a briefing about Teddy and Mum told me that not tomorrow but the next day, the trainer and I were going to go to my school, to make sure he knew what to do in a school setting. That made me both really nervous and excited.

"We're going to go to bed now, honey, but we'll call you when we wake up."

"Sleep well."

We said our goodbyes and hung up, letting Elyse and I drive home. I was exhausted.

"You've been booked a hair cut for tomorrow too Ash."

"Hair cut?"

"Never had one?" She asked. I nodded. "The hairdresser will cut your hair so it's all nice and neat before school."

"I like my hair!" I didn't want them to chop it all off.

"Just the bottom of it." She laughed, reassuring me that I would look the same.

"Are you coming?"

"No, Nick will take you." I hoped Nick wouldn't be annoying about my hair being cut. I was already kind of worried.

Finally, after a long afternoon, I was back at home and could relax. We got pizza for dinner, which everyone else loved, and I didn't mind too much. I'd definitely had better foods before, but I thought that with most foods. Nothing really compared to chocolate.

After dinner, Elyse suggested a movie, to which everyone complied with. They chose some scary movie since Halloween was soon, so I sat tucked in with Ryan and tried my best to sleep instead of watching. The sounds were bad enough, but Ryan didn't flinch once. I knew I would have had a panic attack or not been able to sleep if I had actually watched it. Thankfully, I fell asleep before the movie was even halfway through.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and is excited for the new year! Hopefully this vaccine comes out and is successful so life can go back to somewhat normal.
I have one more chapter left that hasn't been published (which I will publish in a few days) and then there will be most likely no updates until after the 14th of January as I pick up my laptop then!

Please follow me @sydnie6624 to get more updates on my stories and also comment all your thoughts and ideas for/about the story!!
Don't forget to VOTE ;)