Five

Chapter Five:

Elouise stumbled down the wooden steps, crashing into a figure before she met the cold ground. She sat up, finding the laces of her boots to be untied. Her face burned as her clammy hands attempted over and over to retie them, when she completed that task, a face greeted her from above.

A boy stood above her, looking down with concern. "Are you alright, Miss?"

He held out a hand, which she ignored as she pulled herself up. "I am deeply sorry, sir. I should have watched where I was going."

"Don't apologize.'' He smiled, "Though you seemed to be in quite a hurry, is everything okay?"

Elouise nodded, meeting his green eyes. "This is my first party. I have learned quite quickly that I am not a fan of crowded rooms or older fellows asking to dance."

"I'm not a huge fan of them either, you are not alone."

He lifted a hand and gently brought it to her hair, she held her breath as he revealed a small leaf. "Laurie."

Her brows furrowed, "Pardon?"

His eyes widened, dropping the leaf. "My name. My name is Laurie Laurence."

Elouise took a deep breath, the name Laurence striking a cord in her mind. "You live across from the March's?"

"That would be me, yes." He chuckled, "Are you the extra figure I keep seeing around?"

She nodded, "I am staying with them for a few months until I can continue my travels."

"Travels?"

"My dream is to travel the world." Elouise stated, "Before it is my time, I need to see everything."

Laurie nodded slowly, "So, travelling woman, what can I call you?"

"Oh," She mumbled sheepishly, having forgotten to introduce her own self. "My name is Elouise Myer."

He smiled, he seemed to do that a lot. Good thing he had a nice smile, his pearly white teeth a contrast to the dark curls atop his head. His lean figure took a step towards her, "Your skin is awfully pale, why not take a seat over on the steps?"

Elouise agreed, walking beside the boy as they took a seat next to each other. "I don't recall ever seeing you around before?"

"I stayed with my grandmother, she lived in the middle of the forest by the river."

He suppressed a laugh, "The shed? I always thought that place was haunted."

"And you were correct. Haunted by the ninety year old who lived within the four walls." She couldn't help but smile, "Though, it was quite frightening that the roof caved in the day she passed."

His face fell, alarm dancing in his eyes. "Oh, I apologize for speaking ill of your grandmother's home."

Elouise felt herself calm down, raising a brow at the boy. "Not to worry. I speak ill of her most of the time, it is all in fun and memory."

"I hope you don't mind me saying, Miss Myer, but you do look beautiful this evening."

"You look quite handsome yourself, Mr Laurence."

His face scrunched, "Please, call me Laurie."

"Then you call me Elouise."

Laurie smiled yet again, "May I call you El? Since, I do hope we are friends now."

She nodded, "I've never had a nickname."

A new song played from the house, this one upbeat and quite catchy. Laurie made a face, eyes widening with glee. "I do love this song."