Twelve

Chapter Twelve:

Elouise sat next to Beth by the piano, while the little girls delicate fingers danced across the keys. She watched in amazement as Beth finished her song, a content smile on her face.

"Wow!" Elouise exclaimed, "You're brilliant at this. Very talented, you are Beth."

Beth grinned, "Playing piano is what brings me joy."

Footsteps scrapped into the living room, Meg huffed digging in the couch. "I can't seem to find my glove."

"Maybe it's in your room." Beth began another song.

"Jo! Jo, where are you? I can't find my other glove." Meg shouted.

"Take mine!" A holler sounded from above them.

"Jo! We're going to be late!" Meg shouted again.

Amy waltzed into the room, a pair of crafted wings strapped to her back. "Where are you going?"

Jo jumped down the stairs, "You are not invited."

Amy glared, "You're going somewhere with Laurie, I know it!"

"Yes, we are, now stop bothering."

Elouise looked over her shoulder at Jo, "Do you have the tickets?"

"Yes, hurry up!"

"How come Elouise gets to go?" Amy huffed, following Jo across the room towards the front door.

"Because she's older than you." Jo replied, "And much better company."

Beth nudged her, "Go on, don't be late."

"I wish I could hear you play more, Beth."

"We always have tomorrow."

Elouise smiled jumping up, she dashed after Jo and out the door.

"You're going to the theatre with Laurie. Meg, please, can I come?"

Elouise and Jo watched as Amy poked at Meg from the door way, she only shook her head.

"I'm sorry dear, but you weren't invited."

Jo nodded, "You can't go Amy, so don't be a baby and whine about it!"

"I've been shut up in here and I never get to go anywhere. Beth has her piano but I am so lonely!" Amy whined.

"I can teach you chords." Beth chimed in.

"I don't want chords! I want to go to the theatre!"

Jo huffed, marching forward at Meg who still stood in the open doorway. "No! I think you'd hate to poke yourself in where you're not wanted. We already have to deal with boring Mr Brooke."

"I like him, he's kind." Meg said defensively.

"I'll pay for myself!"

"You will not come!"

Elouise walked forward, shoving Jo out of the way. "Amy, how about we do something tomorrow? I'm sure we can think of something fun to do."

Jo shoved her back, glaring at Amy. "You are not coming."

"I'm sorry, my sweet, but Jo is right. Maybe next time."

"Come Meg, stop petting her."

Elouise lead them down the path, the moonlight casting a shadow down across the field.

"You will be sorry for this, Jo March!" Amy's yells echoed after them, "You will! You'll regret this."

Elouise waited until they were completely out of sight of the March household before looking to Jo with a concerned expression, "Should you be worried?"

"No. She says many things she never means." Jo shrugged, "She gets worked up over everything, it's fine."

Elouise pursed her lips, "She's awfully good at lying then, but I suppose every young girl has that dramatic flare."

"One can only hope she grows out of it soon." Meg sighed, causing Jo to chuckle. They continued on across the field, approaching the Laurence home. A carriage was prepared at the front, Laurie and Mr Brooke stood at the door, waiting patiently.

"How nice of you to join us." Mr Brooke spoke. Elouise couldn't help but chuckle quietly, remembering his last encounter with Meg. It was very clear he was taken to her, and he had difficulty trying to show her.

Jo mocked his words under her breath, causing Elouise to laugh. Mr Brooke raised an eyebrow and she covered her mouth, glaring at Jo.

"We don't want to be late." Mr Brooke helped Meg into the carriage, following in behind. Laurie offered Jo a hand as well, but she only knocked it away and hopped in.

"Are you not riding in the back with us?" Elouise questioned.

He shook his head, "There isn't enough room for five. I shall sit at the front, with Ed."

Elouise nodded, "So will I."

He made a face, "You will?"

She nodded again, walking around to the front and nudging Ed to one side. She slid into the small space, smiling as Laurie came round.

"It smells awful sometimes, you know."

"I've steered carriages before, you know?"

He sighed joining her side, telling the man they were ready. With a whip of the cords they were off.

"You have, have you?"

Elouise nodded, smiling at the memories. "I have no siblings, you see. So, I had to find entertainment somewhere, and it usually came from disobeying my father. On occasion I would dress as a boy and work by steering carriages to parties or dinners, I made a fair amount too. I love animals, they're just amazing creatures."

Laurie chuckled, "You dressed as a boy? Did your father ever find out?

"Certainly. After I matured, as my father would call it, it became increasingly difficult to pretend I was a boy." She laughed, "It was nice to feel like I could rule the world, and that nothing could hold me back."

He fell quiet, watching her with perplexity. There was still so much he didn't know about Elouise, but he so desperately wanted to find it out.

"Is anything holding you back now?

She looked at him, locking his gaze. His eyes were quite a sight, she thought. He had a small smile on his face, which made her smile as well.

"No." She told him, a new feeling settling within herself. "Not anymore."