Six

Chapter Six:

The March household was a frenzy as Elouise was replaced by Amy as they carried the woman over to a chair. There were shouts of Meg's well being along with a string of questions about the party. Meg gave an exasperated sigh as she leaned back, whispering something to Amy.

"Oh Meg!" Marmee came out of nowhere, "You'll kill yourself for fashion one of these days! Hannah! We need ice!"

"Tell about it!" Amy exclaimed.

"Was the music wonderful?" Beth questioned.

Marmee turned from her spot by Meg's feet, "Elouise, who do you have with you?"

"He is—"

"Just leaving." He gave a nod.

Marmee shook her head, "Please, come in! Come in! Apologies for the chaos: I enjoy baking in the middle of the night! Don't mind the clutter, Mr Laurence, we don't."

"Laurie, please."

"Oh!" Marmee exclaimed again, "You must be apart of the girls theatricals!"

Elouise watched next to him, just as amazed as he was. She couldn't believe she got to stay here, with this loving family.

Amy sauntered up, placing herself in front of Laurie. "I'm Amy." She said.

"Hello." He chuckled.

Marmee stood up, walking towards the kitchen table. "They could use an extra player, especially now with Elouise! Although, you'll have to fight Jo for the male roles or play a girl. Here, have a scone."

She rushed up to him, placing it in his hand. His cheeks reddened. Marmee only chuckled lightly, "Laurie, how are your ankles? Do you need ice?"

"No, thank you, ma'am."

She sighed, "Please, call me Mother, or Marmee. Everyone does."

Laurie smiled, watching the group as Elouise did.

"I should head home." He looked down at her, "Have a good night, Elouise."

She never got to say goodbye, as he was out the door and into the night. Elouise pursed her lips, turning around. Amy was there again, smiling up at her. "Jo says she found you with Laurie! Tell me everything!"

"There is nothing to tell." Elouise made her way towards Meg, "How are you feeling, Meg?"

"I'll survive." She smiled.

Jo was nowhere to be scene, and with her Beth also departed. Amy sat on the floor next to Meg's chair, Elouise found herself leaning against the wall across from them.

"So." Meg grinned at Elouise, "What were you doing with Mr. Laurence?"

Elouise sighed, "Nothing!"

"Your face says the exact opposite of nothing." Amy countered.

"Fine. I freaked out at the party and ran out, the laces of my boot were undone and I tumbled off the porch and into him." Elouise gazed at the floor, "We spoke and danced, well, he taught me how—"

"I wish something like that would happen to me." Amy pouted, "But I am not clumsy, so I suppose it will never."

Elouise chuckled, "You're very funny, Amy."

"I wasn't trying to be." She crossed her arms, "But thank you."

Meg shifted in her chair, holding a bag of ice on her ankle. Elouise glanced at her, wanting the subject changed. "How was your night, Meg? I saw you were dancing with someone."

"I enjoyed myself, but I didn't feel any different." She explained, "I always here when you meet your perfect person you feel different or feel a spark. There was nothing, but the dancing was quite spectacular."

"I'm not sure if I believe in that spark." Elouise mumbled.

Amy, having studied the other woman, heard her mumbles. "Well that would be because you haven't met your perfect person yet."

Marmee coughed from the kitchen, "If you all want to be up early tomorrow, I suggest you find yourselves to your rooms."

"Christmas!" Amy exclaimed, "How could I let that slip my mind? Elouise, we must go to sleep. Tomorrow is a big day!"

Elouise smiled, letting Amy grab her hand and lead her up the stairs. She bid goodnight to the other women as they disappeared into Amy's room.

"I forgot about Christmas." Elouise stated as she undid her corset, placing it gently on the floor. She asked Amy for assistance in getting her dress off, earning a laugh from from Amy.

"You should wear fancy dresses like this more." She said getting it undone, "You look nice in them."

Elouise thanked her, laying the fabric next to her borrowed corset. She dug in her bag, pulling out the second of her two dresses.

"You don't hang your dresses!" Amy exclaimed, shocked. "Look, you've wrinkled the fabrics!"

"This is my best dress!"

"Do you not have a night gown?"

Elouise got herself in her dress, asking Amy to tie the strings at the back. She did, then walked across her room to her closet.

"No. I left mine in some town a year ago, I forgot to repack it." She shrugged, crawling under the covers. "Any dress can be a night gown if it's comfortable and you sleep."

"Sometimes you confuse me, Elouise."

Elouise chuckled her head hitting the pillow, falling asleep at a record speed.