Thirty Eight

Chapter Thirty Eight: Five Years Later

Elouise Laurence scurried around, tidying up and preparing luggage for their surprise trip. Both her and her husband were off to Mississippi to visit the March's, and of course celebrate Jo March's twenty seventh birthday. They were all almost thirty now, how old the thought made her feel. They were just children when they first met, how long ago a time that was.

"Laurie!" Elouise called from the living room, fluffing a few pillows to move her hands, trying to ease her nerves. It would be almost two years since they were back home, she wondered what the March's would think to see them again. "We must get going, we cannot miss the train!"

They were only a few hours away, having travelled the day before. Laurie assured her that they needed to take a break, finding a beautiful lodge by the river. Elouise still wasn't used to the beautiful views of the places they travelled, or the large rooms of the places they stayed. She always asked Laurie to, if he could and wanted, to choose a place more small and cozy. Not everything needed to be big and luxurious, even if that was all he was used too. He was always surprising her with gifts, for the most part only because she never spent a dime unless it was of ones she made. She had a closest back at their residence in Italy full of fancy dresses but she always found herself in the faded blue one Meg had given her all those years ago.

"I am ready." He came out of nowhere, holding his bag in one hand. He smiled, staring over at her. "You look lovely."

Elouise rolled her eyes, "You're a charmer, Laurence."

"I was good enough to snag you."

She chuckled, collecting her own bag and shuffled to the door. He appeared behind her and opened it for her, she thanked him and made her way out. "You've managed to keep your younger wits, I might say."

"And so have you."

Elouise smiled over at him, "We keep each other young."

"Yes, as there are no others to watch over." He chuckled, "I'm beginning to feel a little older though."

Elouise brought her attention to her feet, a frown forming on her face. She knew he wanted children, but Elouise wasn't sure if she was ready— or the large fact that it seemed the world doomed her of the possibly. By twenty-six, her cousin had four children with one on the way, as well as Meg who began a year after her marriage to John Brooke. Laurie was a few years older than her, she was still only twenty six and if they did want children, she supposed their time was running out.

"El?"

She blinked, glancing to her side at Laurie who gave a concerned look, "Yes?"

Laurie studied his wife, pursing his lips. "We should be at Jo's academy before dinner."

"Hopefully so." She brought a smile to her face, "Amy and Meg are supposedly there as well with John and Fred. I cannot wait to see them all."

Laurie nodded, "I'm sure it will be lovely."

They walked in silence down the many steps of their accommodation before finding their carriage waiting for them. He opened up the door and helped her in while the driver took their luggage and placed them in the trunk. Laurie closed the door gently behind him, taking a seat across from her.

"You know I would like children, right?" She glanced over at him, "It's only I'm beginning to believe it's not possible."

"I know."

"I know you would love them, I really do, I just feel as if god is playing a mighty trick on us." She told him, knowing full well her missing two months of her cycle wasn't a coincidence. But every time that happened it was a false alarm, it truly felt as if the world was laughing at her. "It's not as if we haven't been trying—"