Eight

Chapter Eight:

Mrs Hummel looked shocked when they all trampled into her home, especially carrying baskets of food and drink.

The woman lived in a shed, much like the one her grandmother lived in. Though, this was certainly in worse shape.

"Ach mein Gott!" Mrs Hummel cried out, "It is good angels come to us!"

"I'm back! We brought food and blankets and sweaters. And we brought some medicine. These are my girls."

Elouise waited for her to say, and Elouise. But if never came, she wasn't sure if that was supposed to mean anything or not.

Marmee took the baby Mrs Hummel held closely, the woman moving to the small table to inspect like two of her other children. Meg sat on a makeshift bed pushed against the corner wall and patted the place next to her, one child falling on her lap. Elouise placed her baskets on the table and began taking out the goodies within. She placed bread loafs in front of the children seated at the table, followed by a jar of jam and some biscuits.

They stayed with Mrs Hummel until they each were covered in a blanket and had eaten a good portion of food. They left two baskets with them, filled with more for later. The girls walked arm in arm away from the house, all beaming with joy. Elouise stood of to the side, until of all people, Jo, pulled her next to them and linked her arm to theirs.

"You mustn't not distance yourself from us, Elouise." Meg laughed, "It won't work for long."

"My apologies. I don't mean to, I'm only just used to being alone."

Amy giggled, "You sound like Jo."

Jo whacked her sister, "I'm not used to being alone, you chit. I have all of you. And now, Elouise has all of us."

Marmee smiled at her daughter, not having heard his from her second oldest about anyone new. "That's very sweet, Jo."

Elouise smiled, "I can't thank you enough for letting me intrude all this time. Especially around Christmas, I am very grateful."

"Oh, stop." Beth smiled, causing Elouise's smile to brighten. This was the first time the youngest March sister said anything to Elouise's face. "We enjoy having you with us."

Jo made a gagging noise, followed by a flick to the head from Amy. "Stop being so rude."

"I can't help it!" Jo laughed, "I'm not a fan a touchy feely topics."

"Yes you are. Only not in public, it tarnishes your hard boy-like exterior." Meg chipped, which cause everyone to laugh. Nobody expected such a retort from Meg, which made it even more funny.

By the time they arrived, everyone was shivering in the cold. Elouise was quite chilly, her feet frozen. The warmth of the March household engulfed her as she walked in, sighing with relief.

"Look!" Amy called from the kitchen. Everyone shuffled towards her, gasping at the sight. "Is it fairies?"

"Is it Santa Clause?" Beth swooned.

The kitchen table was covered in an array of a perfectly placed feast, with cakes and candy and even ice cream!

"No, it's old Aunt March!" Jo shoved by them, walking to the other side.

"Aunt March?" Elouise questioned.

"Yes. A bitter old woman, she lives in a rather large house hoarding her fortune." Jo nodded, "Unlike her, I plan to make my own way in this world."

Hannah smiled coming from a back room, "Mr Laurence sent it."

"The Laurence boy's grandfather, why?" Meg questioned, eyeing the treats.