Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine:

Meg and Mr Brooke were delighted to go their own way, rushing off deeper into town. The carriage ride was loud, they all spoke of stories and shared laughs on the way there. Now, it was only Elouise and Laurie, like it had been many times before, but this time she felt nervous.

They approached the cemetery, where Elouise's grandmother was. She paused at the gates, she could see the woman's headstone from there.

Laurie watched her, "Are you ready?"

She nodded, walking past the gates to the familiar stone. She stopped in front of it, staring down. It had become dirty, considering the rough winters and wet springs they'd endured.

"I should have brought flowers." She whispered staring at the empty stone, the ones surrounding hers was flourishing with bright coloured flowers.

Laurie knelt down, examining the engravings. "She used to come by the manor."

"Pardon?"

He tapped the small photo of Mabel, she stared back at them with a playful look. "I recognize her. I called her Parker, which I know know was her last name."

Elouise knelt beside him, "She told me stories of a man she met, she told me he was from money. I never really paid any attention, to be honest, I thought she was losing her mind when she described him."

"What did she tell you?"

"She told me that this man was feared by most, but she saw through him." Elouise had a small smile on her face, "That he was kind and only wanted company, he lived alone in a large house with a child. Now that I think about it, it does sound like your grandfather."

Laurie nodded, "Small world."

She stood up, gazing around the cemetery. They were the only ones there.

"Mrs March came up to me right here." Elouise tapped the grass with her booted foot, even after two years of wearing them they still hung on to life. "Later I was met by Jo and she brought me to her household."

"I'm glad Mrs March found you." Laurie smiled, pulling himself up.

"Two years later and I'm still here." She chuckled, "I should be leaving soon. If I do not go now, I'm not sure I will be able to bring myself to leave this town."

Laurie shook his head, "Stay here. You say that often, and yet you're still here with me."

She took a breath, making her way from the cemetery. Laurie followed as they walked down the street, "I'll have nowhere to stay, the girls are growing up. I need to leave the March household as soon as possible."

"What of your grandmothers house?"

She laughed, "Would you like to see it?"

He nodded.

"Let's hope there is something left of it."

•••

Apparently she did not hope enough, as when the carriage rolled up to what used to be her home, there was nothing but collapsed wood.

She questioned Laurie about taking the carriage without telling Meg or Mr Brooke, but he insisted Mr Brooke wouldn't mind and that they wouldn't be returning home until sunset, which meant they had plenty of time.

"I don't know why I had thought the structure would still be standing." She rushed from the carriage, stopping at the pile of wood in a heap. Faded fabric peaked under a beam, she carefully climbed over and reached for it.

"Is that safe? I see nails—"

"It's fine." Elouise pulled the thin blanket out, a smile on her face. "She made this the week I got here."

Laurie climbed up and joined her side, "This is really where you lived?"

She nodded, "It was cozy. And the views are nice, being right next to the river and all."

She kicked a few boards aside, seeing if there was anything else hiding. Laurie jumped from the pile onto the grass, watching as she searched.

"This must have been a small home."

"It was cozy." She told him again, "It was only Mabel until I came along, it suited her nicely."

Laurie shoved his hands in his pockets, "If you could choose, would you live here, surrounded by nature or closer to town, where the March's are?"

Elouise glanced over at him, "If I could choose, I would find a big plot of land. I would build a farmhouse, with a wrap around porch. Paint it a pretty colour and perhaps slowly build up an actual farm."

He looked amused, "You want a farm?"

"I love Mrs Gibson's land. Her home is beautiful and I've taken a liking to the animals. I would have a stables and a few horses, I would name them all after my favourite things."

"And what are your favourite things, Elouise?"

She smiled, jumping down off the pile, walking to Laurie's side. "I see what you are hinting at, Laurence. Fine, I shall name one of my imaginary horses Theodore. Is that satisfactory?"

"I'd prefer 'Laurie' but, I suppose that will do."

Elouise nudged his arm with her elbow, "Do you plan on staying in your grandfathers manor forever?"

"I suppose I will inherit the manor when he passes on." Laurie said, "I have never really thought about what to do after we all grow up."

"You can do anything you want to do." Elouise watched him, "The world is at your fingertips."

He nodded slowly, "We should make our way back to town, I believe it's almost evening."

Elouise followed him back to the carriage, he held the door open as she climbed in. He sat next to her, staring out the window as they took off.

"Are you alright?" She questioned, watching him meet her gaze.

"Yes."

"You are a terrible liar, Theodore."

Laurie pursed his lips, "I am not a good secret keeper."

Her eyes widened, "You are keeping a secret?"

"See."

Elouise chuckled, "I will not bug you about it, do not worry. You will most likely tell me on accident, and I can wait."