Seven

Chapter Seven:

Elouise made her way down the stairs, another morning awoken to giggles and shouts. She entered the living room, finding all the girls scattered on the furniture.

"You could be a proper actress on the boards!" Jo shouted.

"I can't be an actress." Meg whispered.

Amy stood up and pranced around the room, "I have lots of wishes, but my favourite one is to be an artist and go to Paris and do find pictures and be the best painter in the world."

Beth was cuddled up to Jo on a chair, "That's what you want too, isn't it Jo?" She asked quietly, Elouise was surprised she caught it. "To become a famous writer?"

"Yes, but it sounds so crass when she says it."

Amy sighed, "Why be ashamed of what you want—"

"I'm not!"

"My wish is to have all of us together with Father and Mother in this house, that's what I want." Beth said matter of factly.

"What about your music, Queen Bess?"

The little girl blushed, "I only do that for us, I don't need anyone else to hear it."

Amy gazed over and spotted Elouise holding onto the stair railing, she smiled. "Oh, but you must play for Elouise!"

All the girls looked her way, giving smiles and waves. "I don't think so."

"You must not limit yourself."

Meg stood up, "Mother proposed we not have any presents this Christmas because our men are suffering in the army. We can't do much, but we should make our little sacrifices and do it gladly."

Jo rolled her eyes, "Don't play mother just because she's not home." She picked up a pillow and threw it at Meg, it hitting her square in the face.

Amy huffed, "Don't Jo; it's so boyish."

"That's why I do it!"

"I detest rude, un-lady like girls."

Jo stood up, "And I hate little affected chits!"

Elouise watched as Jo tackled Amy and Beth to the ground, pulling in Meg after her. Shouts of protest and insults ensued as Elouise backed up to the front door, slipping outside.

The cold felt nice on her burning face, the snow a sweet reminder of home. She walked to the centre of their yard and sat down, laying on her back with a sigh. Snowflakes fell gently over top of her, Elouise couldn't help but think of her room back in Charlotte Town.

Though her family had a small fortune, their house was a modest size. Her father believed money should only be spent in certain ways, which meant whatever he saw fit. They lived in a two story cabin, out by the water. Her father had built it himself, adding to his ego. Her room was smaller, but that made it feel more warm and cozy. She missed the log walls and comforting smell of her sheets.

"Aren't you cold?"

Elouise sat up, squinting against the sun. Laurie stood on the other side of the fence, giving her a small smile.

"Are you?" His face was flushed, with the reddest cheeks she'd ever saw. Wind blew his hair around, causing his eyes to water.

"Yes, I am quite cold." He told her, "But I am the one wrapped in a wool coat. How can you lie in the snow in nothing but a dress?"

Elouise shrugged, "I enjoy the cold as much as the heat."

He paused, watching as she closed her eyes and breathed in the fresh air. "I learn from home, and I do have a session in only a few minutes so I must be going."

Elouise raised a hand and waved dramatically, "I bid you farewell, Laurie Laurence! Have the most wonderful time studying."

He chuckled, turning around. He was almost half way home when his figure turned with a jump. "Farewell for now, Elouise Myer. Enjoy freezing on a cold's winter day!"

Elouise laughed, pulling herself up. A new set of footsteps crunched the fresh snow as Marmee glanced from Laurie walking across the field to her.

"You've certainly caught someone's eye." The woman spoke, giving her a warm smile. "Are the girls inside?"

"Last I saw, Jo had tackled them to the ground." She chuckled, "Your girls are certainly a wonder."

"Come inside, I have news."

Elouise nodded, following her inside. As soon as she entered the living room, shrieks echoed.
"Merry Christmas girls!" The woman yelled, her children crowding around her in glee. "I'm so glad to see you all happy!"

Jo wrapped her arm around her mother, guiding her into the kitchen where the table was covered in delicious looking food.

"Mother, are you freezing? Come have some tea."

"Jo." Marmee sighed, "You look tired, were you up all night again writing? Amy, come kiss me! How are my girls?"

Everyone told their answer in a chaotic reply as they took their seats, Elouise sat up as straight as she could. There was a brief silence, Marmee opened her mouth but quickly shut it, staring down at the food in front of them.

"What?" Jo questioned.

"What is it?" Meg added.

She got straight to the point, "Not to far from here lives a poor young woman, Mrs Hummel. Her five children are in one bed to keep from freezing and there is nothing to eat. My girls, will you give them your breakfast as a Christmas present?"

The silence that followed echoed their true answer, but they wouldn't be able to move on from the thought if they didn't.

"Do you agree, Elouise?"

She thought of the days where her and her grandmother had no food, where sometimes it would stretch for a week. "I think they will appreciate it more than they will ever be able to say."

Beth looked up from the table, staring at her mother. "Is this where you say that father would want us to."

"Yes."

That seemed to settle it, as they all stood up and began collecting the food. Hannah raced in with many baskets and handed them to each person. It only took ten minutes for them to place the food carefully in each basket and for each girl to bundle in their winter attire. Elouise again went without the winter clothes, telling them not to worry. Marmee gave her a concerned look but she ignored it. Grabbing two baskets and heading out after Jo, the fresh air again making her feel better.