CHAPTER 4

I wasn't expecting a lot of things to happen tonight, but they did. I also wasn't expecting the answer to that question, but there it was, lingering in the air. I pushed the question out of my mind. It wasn't any of my business in the first place. I wanted to continue the conversation with Nico. He was one person that I dont usually have the luxury to talk to often. He's either going around the world on quests for Hades, hanging out in the underworld, or inside his cabin all day. I turned to Nico to say anything to keep him talking, but all I was seeing was a sleeping Nico cuddled into my side. I knew I was blushing. I dont know why though, I had a wonderful girlfriend, and I don't have any romantic feelings for Nico. The butterflies in my stomach and my warmed cheeks were saying otherwise. I would think about all this in the morning, the pills were kicking in, and I'm tired. I drifted off, relaxed for the first time in a while. The vinella smell of Nico intoxicated my dreams, I was vaguely aware of the warmth of Nico on my arm and my side, thought it was getting colder and colder.

I was walking. It was cold and the floor was smooth underneath my feet. I wasn't wearing shoes? It was dark, I couldn't make out my hand in front of my face. Up ahead there was a light. It illuminated the room and walls nearby. I ran. I ran toward the light. I wanted to see, to be aware of the things around me. I stopped, I was being stopped. It was like there was an invisible wall in front of me. I reached out trying to grasp for a wall, a person, anything. I felt something cold and soft, it was alive I could feel the warmth from inside of it despite their cold skin. I still couldn't see. But I smelt something familiar. I couldn't place it but it was comforting, and the smell made me feel safe. It suddenly faded and the air around me became damp. The moisture kept my hands clammy and moist. A sense of dread made itself visible in my stomach, my hairs were standing on and, and my eyes flicked around the dimly lit room. A shadow formed behind me, at first taking the shape of my regular shadow, but it grew and moved. It stood up and materialized into a human shape. I could make put lots features, sunken plate skin, dark eye bags, its boney fingers and frail angular body. It was something right out of a nightmare. It chuckled and spoke in almost a whisper, making me strain my ears to hear what it was saying,

"Ah, Perseus Jackson. Nice to see you, again."

Of course. It was Achlys, the goddess of misery. Ever since the first time I saw her, my life had been a spiral downhill.

"What do you want?"

She chuckled,

"It's not me you have to be worrying about, Jackson. The gods are not playing in your, or your little boyfriend's favor."

She walked closer to me. I could see her amused smile.

"I don't know what you mean, Achlys."

My voice didn't waiver. I meant business, she was practically telling me that Nico was in danger. All I heard was a chuckle and she vanished. I started reaching out again trying to feel my way around. The familiar smell flooded my nose once again. I could finally distinguish it, it smelled like vinella, just like Nico.

I woke up in a cold sweat. Nico was still by my side. I know I won't be able to go back to sleep now. It was still dark outside, the only light was the moon through my window. I looked at my clock. 5:30am. Great. I had so many things running through my head. The smell of Nico wasnt helping me think either. I turned over and studied his face. It was pale, small amount of freckles, black silky hair falling onto his face, and his pink lips. He looked angelic laying there. Almost unrealistic. Everything on his face was proportioned perfectly. His nose was small enought to be cute but not weird, and his eyes were big enought to remind you of a deer but not big enought to creep you out. I closed my eyes and took in a big breath of his vinella scent. I suddenly opened my eyes, confused. Why was I smelling Nico? Why was I giving him so much consideration all of a sudden? The words angelic, cute, and perfect were not words I would use to normally describe Nico di Angelo. Then again I was a demigod, noting about me was normal. I turned to stare at the ceiling. Why was I feeling this way about Nico? I always was comfortable with my sexuality, I like girls, but hey, if a cute guy walked by, a thing or two would always cross my mind. It was no big deal I was fine with it, so it was no surprise that I would like, or even date a guy. But Nico? Until recently I thought he hated my guts. I guess he didnt, for one he's sleeping right next to me so I think that's plenty of proof. I had to admit it, I like Nico di Angelo.