FIVE

The one on the right was looking smug, as if he had won a bet.

"I told you she would come," he said. "If witches love anything, it's their precious little charms."

Holly swallowed hard. The blood pounded in her ears. It was the smug one who was dangling her pentacle in the light, so it shone right into her eyes. He was the shorter one with the cropped hair. Handsome.

Dangerously handsome. Like in her drawing from the night before.

Holly took a step forward, navigating her way to their table. She felt the tension growing as she neared. Her cover was blown — her fingertips trembled, but the alarm was slowly becoming anger. It was men like them that had killed her parents. It was men like them that gave witches a bad name.

She kept walking until she was right in front of them, and they looked back at her, expecting her to speak.

Holly blinked, examining the taller one on the left. He didn't look as malevolent as his partner. His gaze was focused intelligently on her, prodding her to say something.

A moment passed; the blood was still thundering in her ears. Then she cleared her throat. "I believe you have something of mine."

She was playing with fire. For all she knew, they had guns in their pockets and knives up their sleeves.

"Damn right I do," the right one said, flipping the chain around between his fingers. "It worked perfectly, didn't it, Sam?"

Holly clenched her teeth together. Irritation was overcoming fear.

The one called Sam leaned over the table, clasping his large hands together, and ignored his partner. "We don't want to hurt you."

Holly widened her eyes. Somehow, she found that hard to believe.

She held out her hand. "Then why don't you give me back what's mine and we'll forget this whole thing ever happened, then." Home was calling her name, where she wanted to hide under the covers. She felt ashamed for being such a coward, but something about these Hunters made her skin crawl.

"Only if you cooperate." The right one smiled, his cheeks dimpling. Holly tried not to snarl at him. The charm was still in his grasp, but she didn't dare to make a move to take it.

"Dean, stop it." Sam's voice was steel, but Holly still felt openness radiate from his aura. He wasn't pushy or cold like the other one. Her drawings didn't lie.

Holly crossed her arms, suddenly feeling vulnerable. She forgot her surroundings for a moment, and glared at Dean.

"I'd prefer if you didn't fuck with my head," she hissed. "What you're holding happens to be very special to me. Don't expect me to even be cooperative if I don't get it back."

Dean seemed taken aback, but the charm still didn't drop from his hand. "This is why I hate witches," he said, turning to Sam. "They're always so...angry."

"Dean, damnit, just give her the thing. We only want to ask you a couple of questions," he said, turning to Holly, who was still seething. "We're not here to disturb the peace."

Holly felt her heart beat steady a little. Something about Sam's voice soothed her, but she still kept a cold gaze on Dean. Anyone who hated witches was an enemy in her book.

"Fine." Dean slammed her charm on the table, pushing it towards her. "Have your little charm."

Holly stared at it for a second, surprised he gave it back, but she snatched it up. It felt warm in her palm, and it felt like home, even it had been in the hands of a Hunter.