FIFTEEN

Blood, splattered on the walls.

Holly blinked, drowsy.

A cold chill sliding down her skin.

Her vision was blurry.

Claws on her neck.

Her head pounded.

Heavy, screeching chains dragging on the floor...

Holly's head shot up and she gasped, fully adjusting to the darkness. 

The only thing she could hear was the fast beating of her own heart and her ragged breaths. 

She was alone, suffering in a dank, dark cave.

Holly closed her eyes, moaning. Her body was sore. She could feel her hands tied and one of her ankles was clamped with a rusty chain. Sweat covered her skin, which was exposed as she was wearing a flimsy white nightgown.

A feeling of sickness swept over her, and she dry-heaved, her back arching up against her restraints. 

She stared upwards at the ceiling. She was somewhere underground, stalactites hanging from the dripping rocks. The room felt like fear, and death. People had died here.

Holly swallowed dryly, gazing around, as much as she could with her body bound to a slab of rock. It was a small, enclosed area, and there was only one entrance in and out that she could see, a gaping black hole across the cave. Flickering candles stood melting on ledges, all around the room, giving off a gloomy light. Holly couldn't see any other signs of life.

Except for the blood on the walls.

She trembled, her fingers clenching the rough stone. The stains formed grotesque paintings, murals she couldn't understand. Some of it twas fresh.

Holly's eyes followed the red trails over the rocky surface until her head started to spin. She closed her eyes, seeing crimson tornadoes.

She had to get out of there.

It took her a second to notice that something was missing; it felt as if her soul was a jigsaw puzzle that had been haphazardly strewn together, with a few pieces still lying on the floor.

Her head throbbed as she thought about it, and an image formed clear in her head.

Dean.

A fresh wave of terror washed over her as she realized that the Hunter brothers were probably still out there in that lot, dying. Dying, or something like it.

It hurt to breathe; it felt like half of her heart was missing.

She choked on an empty sob, the cry echoing throughout the cave. The candles on the wall flickered, as if they could feel her pain. She tried to lift her arms against her bonds.

No luck — even if the bonds weren't tight, she wouldn't have been able to be strong enough to lift them, because her arms felt like lead. And it felt like Vail had drugged her again, numbing her powers, her mind mentally exhausted. She tried to lift the heavy chain around her ankle. It barely budged. 

She knew if those Hunters never opened their eyes again, then it would be the end of the road for her. She would be responsible for their deaths. She would never get revenge for her parents' deaths. That couldn't happen.

Holly tried wiggling her toes, and she could, but there was no feeling in them. She could see, by scrunching her eyes and looking down, that there were various cuts and bruises all over her legs, which popped out from the wispy white thing Vail had put her in.