SIX

Holly watched them walk, shadows in the light, for a moment, sweat breaking out over her skin. Her car's engine died under her fingertips. The Hunters disappeared into the forest, and she lost sight of them.

They were completely set on killing whatever they found. 

Holly shut the door quietly and took off running, making sure she kept her footsteps light. These men were still extremely dangerous to her, even if they proposed peace. But the itch under her skin drew her after them, a whisper that seeped into her ears and propelled her forward. What were they after? Had they found the vampire? 

She followed their tracks, slipping into the woods quietly. Ahead, she could hear the crashing of leaves and branches, and she knew they were giving chase.

A branch whipped across her cheek as she sprinted, drawing blood. Holly wiped it away, ignoring the sting. She was barely picking up Sam and Dean's tracks now, as if they were getting farther away. Instead, a strong, darker scent filled her thoughts. It was the same feeling she had first gotten when she had opened the bar door.

If it wasn't Sam and Dean's, whose was it?

Holly stopped as a clearing came into view. Ahead, in her path, there were broken branches and crushed leaves. They had definitely come through here, into the moonlit clearing. She could see dark figures.

She wanted to call out to them, but wouldn't risk it. If she was responsible for letting the thing get away, she was dead meat, just like her parents.

Instead, she crouched, barely hidden, watching the figures move.

She tried to read the brothers. Their thoughts were moving, indignant masses, writhing with secrets. Both were so full of energy; ready to move. But mostly, her ability was picking up the other scent with full force. Something else was there, in the field, ready to attack. Its violent demeanour frightened Holly. She needed to find whatever it was, and warn the brothers before things got nasty.

Why the hell should you help them? a quiet voice murmured in her head. 

She leaned forward a bit, tilting her head to inspect the surrounding forest. In the centre of the field, the brothers searched, and their voices barely reached her ears.

There. Another figure entered the clearing, blending into the tall grass, slinking low. Its aura matched what Holly was feeling. She caught an evil, sadistic wind. It was ready to kill.

She leapt forward, hands swinging at her sides. The grass whistled around her legs, and Holly flinched at the sounds she was making, giving away her position. The dark presence was ten feet away, five...

"No!" she cried, springing into the air just as the figure made a move to attack the two brothers. By now, they were alarmed and had their guns out, pointed at both Holly and the creature. Her arms made contact with a solid body, and they both rolled to the ground, hitting it hard. Her ears were filled with the sound of snarls and the ripping of cloth. Her jacket was being torn to shreds. Something cut her stomach.

"Sonofabitch," she growled, jabbing her feet into the thing's side. Her head was filled with an intense pain, and the next thing she knew, she was lying face up in the dirt, and there were shouts overhead. The pain flooded her skull.

"Holly, what the hell are you doing here?" Sam demanded, pulling her up. Holly resisted throwing up and instead brushed herself off. Dean had his gun jammed to the figure's head, and Holly saw now that it was a human man, blood running down his cheeks and his clothing was torn and dirty. She noticed the glint of a second set of teeth in the flashlight Sam had pointed towards the man. So there was a vampire in town.