SIXTEEN

"We're losing her!"

Dean wrenched the steering wheel to the left, rain pounding against the windshield as the tires turned in the wet dirt. He didn't know where they were going, just that it better get them to Holly in time.

"Vail's got her," he growled, and Sam rummaged through the soaked duffle bag on his lap.

"Dean, just concentrate on driving."

"Goddamnit, we can't let her die!" He pounded the wheel, narrowly missing driving into the ditch. It felt like his soul was being ripped from his body, leaking from two pierced holes in his heart. He tried to keep his eyes on the road. 

Sam stopped rummaging. "Dean, calm down. Just focus on getting us there." 

"She's giving up," Dean whispered, his voice hoarse. He couldn't explain what was happening to him. This was no longer just a Hunt, a girl's life now hung in the balance. His girl's life. 

Sam turned to him. 

"Hold on. I think we're almost there." He pointed ahead. "See that cliff?"

Dean stopped the car.

****

Vail had his hands on her waist now, as his fangs pierced Holly's neck. A slow, burning sensation made its way through her veins, spread throughout her body. 

She kept her eyes closed, trying to ignore her urge to scream, feeling like she was falling into a deep cavern, far away from the sights and sounds of the cave. The cave...

She opened her eyes to one of the stalactites on the ceiling. One of which was poised right over Vail. 

Concentrating with all her might, she tried to get it to wobble, but her strength was still gone. She felt it leave her body as Vail smothered his mouth in her blood. The fiery sensation in her neck was becoming unbearable. Tears formed at the corners of her eyes. Her magic was gone. Dean was gone. She was going to lose this. 

Vail chuckled darkly, deep in his throat, and moved his lips to her collarbone, scraping them with his fangs. She cried out. 

Her vision started to blur. She fought the urge to slide away into her sub-consciousness, and sleep forever...

Suddenly she felt something at the distant edge of her mind, a quick flicker of light. 

Her gaze flew to Vail, but he was still keeping himself occupied, holding her down as she squirmed. He hadn't heard the sound.

They were coming.

Holly felt her senses prick, strength surging into her bones. 

How did he find her?

"Oh, Goddess," she murmured to herself in thanks, leaning her head back. Vail mistook this for pleasure and he crawled on top of her, dipping his head to kiss her throat with blood-smeared lips. 

"Finally, you're seeing the light, now, my dear?"

More than you know, buddy.

If Dean and Sam had found their way in, she needed to distract Vail.

She pursed her lips and fluttered her eyelashes, keeping her eyes closed, so she wouldn't have to look the vampire in his horrible red eyes. "That feels good," she said, trying to keep her voice from shaking. Vail hungrily grabbed her hair and pressed her down against the rock, smothering her in bloody kisses. Holly felt bile rise in her throat, but her plan was working. Vail was too wrapped up in his top prize to notice the two figures that had entered the room. But she noticed them. She could feel Dean as strong as ever, and she nearly cried in relief.