twenty-five

"I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND why you're going to the museum," Calum huffs from where he is laying back on my bed, his phone in hand.

I let out a long sigh as I brush my hair in preparation for Luke and I's secret date. Since hearing that we were going on an "excursion", Calum hadn't stopped complaining about the fact that he couldn't come.

"It's not too late to change your mind," I tell him with a smirk, knowing full well that he would deny the proposal.

Confirming my assumption, Calum casts me a disgusted glare, his lips twisted in a gross scowl. "You act like I have a choice," he complains dramatically, shaking his head as he continues scrolling through Instagram.

I simply roll my eyes and cast one last look in the mirror to check my appearance. I don't know why I'm so nervous for our date. I had known Luke almost my entire life, and I had never felt so anxious to see him — sure, I'd felt annoyed and frustrated, furious even, but never the ball of anxiety building in my chest that I felt presently. I shake my head, hoping that my nerves would be freed by the action, and pick my book bag up from its home on my bedroom floor.

Calum looks up from his phone finally, tossing it onto the mattress, and casts me a look of confusion. "Why do you look nice?" He asks, his voice laced with judgment.

I momentarily freeze, but quickly cover up the panic with an eye roll. "Thanks," I sling my bag over my shoulder and make for the door. "It's not like I try to look nice every other day."

I hear Calum scurrying behind me as I make my way down the stairs as he typically does when I'm heading out without him, almost like some sort of twin separation anxiety. "That's not what I meant," he explains quickly. "You just look... nicer."

I reach the kitchen bench and lean up against it, glancing at the clock briefly on the opposite wall — I really hope Luke arrives before Calum's interrogation can be taken much further. "I don't know, I felt like it," I shrug nonchalantly. I hope Luke doesn't make such a fuss about my appearance.

Calum eyes me suspiciously. "Are you sure you're going to the museum?"

I snap to meet his gaze, hoping that I appear confused rather than called out, like I feel. "You don't seriously think I'd be voluntarily spending time in Luke's company if it wasn't for my personal benefit?" The words tumble out of my mouth frighteningly naturally, a stark reminder of the years of hatred I'd built up against him.

Calum shrugs, reaching into the fruit bowl and plucking an apple from the pile. "True," he concludes, and just like that he has returned to his typical, blissful state of ignorance. My brother could be so painfully dim at times, but this was one of the incidences where it worked completely in my favour.

Outside, I hear a car horn sounding loudly from the driveway, and I feel my heart leap. "That's my ride," I try not to appear too excited as I practically skip toward the front door, pecking my brother on the cheek on my way out. "Wish me luck!"

Calum simply mumbles something incoherent and closes the door behind me without acknowledging his friend in the driveway. When I'm sure he's gone, I hurry toward Luke's car and climb in the passenger seat, grinning across at him instantly.

"Hey," I breath, willing myself to calm down before Luke thinks I'm hyperventilating in excitement.

"Hi," he laughs lightly at the state of me. "You look nice."

I feel a blush creep up my cheeks, though I'm extremely giddy at the comment. "Thanks," I smile, pushing my hair behind my ears. "You're not so bad yourself."

Luke scoffs and rolls his eyes. "Thanks," he responds sarcastically, but the smile crossing his lips gives away how happy he truly is. "You ready for our first unsupervised date?"