forty-one

WE FINALLY MAKE IT to school with some time to spare before my first class of the day. Luke helps me out of the car (and this time I don't fight him on the matter) and hoists my bag over his shoulder before I can reach for it myself.

I enter the school feeling nervous. I don't doubt for a moment that everybody has already heard about the accident, and I can't bear the thought of all the prying eyes and whispers about me. I just want to forget the night, not relive it for the entire day. However, I do find some relief having Luke and Calum by my side through it all.

When we enter the front doors into the school's main building and round the corner to where our cluster of lockers live, I am immediately enveloped in a tight hug.

"Rory," I recognise the velvety voice and the waft of strawberry coming from luscious hair instantly as belonging to Anna. Though I had spoken to her over the phone on the weekend, she hadn't been able to visit me, so this was the first I'd seen of her since the accident.

I hug Anna back weakly, not wanting to injure myself further, and stroke her hair slightly. "Hey," is all I can think to say, a small laugh escaping my lips.

"I was so worried," she finally pulls back, said worry present all over her features as she scans me up and down. "Are you okay?"

I find myself glancing nervously across at Luke, remembering the events that had just occurred on the way to school. Physically, I feel fine -- at least, I am going to be fine eventually. Mentally, I'm not so sure. I decide not to mention that. "I'm fine," I assure her, tearing my eyes from a wary Luke. "Really."

Anna finally turns to Luke, her face shifting from one of worry to one of complete and utter fury. "You idiot!" She reaches across and smacks Luke's shoulder harshly. He lets out a small 'ow' and nurses the wound. Behind Anna, Michael and Ashton are watching on in both humour and curiosity, likely awaiting their turn. "Do you have a brain?" Luke parts his lips to respond, but Anna quickly cuts him off. "Don't answer that."

"Anna," I plead with her, hoping that she'll listen to me for once and not blow up at Luke. Glancing across at him, I can see the guilt beginning to bubble over again, and I'm sure that Anna's interaction won't be the only one that chastises him.

"No, Rory," Anna raises her hand at me, seemingly determined to let Luke know just how angry she is with him. "He's not getting away with it this time."

"Anna, please," I try again, placing a hand on her arm to calm her. "He knows what he did. He feels bad enough already, okay?"

Anna holds my gaze for a moment, and I know that she is registering my pleas. "Fine," she sighs finally, turning back to Luke. She narrows her eyes at him. "You're still an idiot. If you didn't save Rory's life, I'd drive you off a bridge myself."

For perhaps the first time, Luke doesn't respond to Anna's comment with a witty insult. Instead, he simply nods in silence, accepting her accusations and refusing to retort. Anna appears extremely surprised by this, though before she can speak on the matter, Ashton and Michael rush up and each hug me as well.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Ashton is the first to speak, offering me a warm, dimpled smile that reflects his statement. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," I repeat, returning Ashton's smile and hoping that it is true. I'm already becoming sick of being asked how I feel.

Michael scoffs, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, no thanks to Luke," he mumbles, though far louder than perhaps he intends. However, Luke still doesn't defend himself, only shifts uncomfortably in response.

"Michael," I scold, frowning and shaking my head at him to indicate that I am not impressed.

"It's true!" He shrugs, holding his own hands up in defence. Out of all the people here, I would expect Michael to be the one not to make a comment given his knowledge of our relationship. "Calum thinks so, too."