epilogue

It's funny how life decides to teach us lessons.

Mine came in the form of a boy who I'd spent my entire life hating. I thought I knew all there was to know about Luke Hemmings. He was rude, nasty, hateful, taunting and, to his core, terrible.

I had never been so wrong about anything in my entire life.

Looking back on it, Luke taught me more about life and love than any other person, movie or romance novel ever could. He changed me. And perhaps that's a lot to attribute to a boy who broke my heart, but it's the truth — and I wouldn't change it for the world.

I turn to Luke, ruffling my bedsheets slightly as I do so, and bring my hand up to caress his cheek. He turns away from the movie playing on my laptop, looking to me.

"Don't go," I whisper, feeling so incredibly selfish but unable to stop myself from begging him.

Luke is due to fly out to Yale tomorrow as part of their summer early admissions program, and will likely remain there until the semester begins — meaning that we will be missing out on one final summer together before we are cities apart for the next few years. I don't want him to go. As selfish as that is, it feels as though everything in our lives is beginning to fall right into place. We are finally free to be together and be us, out in the open for everybody to see — except that he is leaving.

"I have to go," Luke responds softly, easing the pain only slightly. He reaches up and places his hand over mine, pulling it gently from his cheek and pressing it to his lips instead.

I let out a long sigh, squeezing his hand once he has kissed it. "I know," I admit despite not wanting to accept this truth. "I'm going to miss you."

Luke pouts sympathetically at this, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "I'm going to miss you too, sunflower," he whispers. I take in the words and press them to my heart, holding them there as a promise — of a future, of hope, of us. "We'll be alright."

I smile softly, nodding to acknowledge this. "I know," I promise, not only for him but for me — as determined as he is to leave for Yale, I know that he won't go unless he thinks that I will be able to get by without him. He has to believe that I can, even if I don't myself. I hear Luke's phone ping loudly, and I know that this is another YouTube notification. "How many views now?"

Since somebody uploaded a video of the band performing at Battle of the Bands and it went practically viral, Luke has vowed to start his own YouTube channel to perform covers and originals — really just to get his music out there, especially considering the boys won't be able to meet for regular band practice once we all move away to college.

Luke pulls his phone out of his pocket and opens up the app, scrolling to his video. "Ten thousand," he gasps, eyes wide with excitement and utter disbelief. "I can't believe it."

"I can," I snatch the phone from his hands and press play, allowing the video of him singing a beautiful cover of Ivy by Frank Ocean to sail through the speakers. I look to him expectantly, as if the act itself proves my point. "You're amazing, Luke."

My boyfriend's cheeks tinge a cute shade of red and he plucks the phone from my hands, quickly shutting it off and throwing it to the side.

"Shut up," he retorts, though doesn't really mean it.

"I'm serious!" I laugh, wrapping my arms around his torso and cuddling him as close as possible. I don't know when I might be able to do so again. "I'm going to have to fight off your groupies soon enough."

Luke scoffs, rolling his eyes dramatically at me. "With these breadsticks?" He grips my bicep, almost able to wrap his entire hand around it, and squeezes the lack of muscle there as proof of my weakness. "I don't think so." I frown and smack him on the arm as hard as I can without properly hurting him. "Ow!" Luke rubs the spot on his arm and glares at me.

"That's what I thought," I retort with a huff, though snuggle back into his chest nonetheless.

On my laptop screen, Seth and Summer snap angrily at each other in the car on the way to Mexico, bickering back and forth while everybody else watches on in discomfort.

"Remember when we were like that?" Luke muses, and I nod in response. "It feels like a different life."

"I can go back to being mean to you if you like," I suggest jokingly, giggling into Luke's chest.

Luke scoffs, though laughs at my comment nonetheless, the feeling vibrating through his chest. "No thank you, whore-y Rory," he says, dimples drilling into his cheeks as he smiles down at me. "I like you just the way you are."

I fake an 'aw' sound, pretending to swoon in his arms. "Aw, Puke," I let out a dramatic sigh. "I never knew you were such a romantic."

Luke stares down at me, still smiling, looking at me as though I am his entire world. Those sea-blue doe eyes are filled with light when I meet them, sparkling brightly despite the darkness surrounding us — and that is perhaps how I am always destined to feel with Luke. No matter what darkness, what horror, what terrible things may cross my path, Luke will always be the light. Yes, at one point he was the darkness — and perhaps he still is, for some. But here, right now, with me — he is Luke. And he is enough.

"Only for you," he whispers. "I love you so much."

There is no doubt in my mind when I look up at this boy — this beautifully terrible, harrowingly wonderful, unbelievably confusing yet irrevocably perfect boy — that he has slipped in and ensured my entire heart is dedicated to him, forever. So, I do not hesitate when I respond, the words I want to say almost bursting through my chest with how strongly I feel them.

"I love you, too," I whisper back, our smiles so wide and so bright that I'm not sure I could ever experience any darkness again.

And when he kisses me — when he envelopes my lips in his own soft, plump ones, and pulls me so close to him I don't think he will ever let me go, nor do I want him to — I am the most sure I have ever felt about anything in my life. Everything Luke and I went through as children; all of the hatred and anger and teasing and tricks. The climb up that treacherous mountain that we have endured bravely our entire lives — it has lead right here, to this moment.

And what a beautiful view it is.

And that's a wrap!

Thank you guys so much for coming on this journey with me. I've enjoyed every moment, and I truly have read every comment you've left and every message you've sent me.

BUT

This is not the end for Luke and Rory!!!

I have started a SEQUEL to the hating game called 'the revenge plot', and I have uploaded the first few chapters. You can go through my account or access the link here:
https://www.wattpad.com/story/234636273-the-revenge-plot-lrh

I would love for you all to continue on with Luke and Rory's journey as they begin college and try to juggle their new lives and their long-distance relationship. It is going to be a wild!! Ride!!