thirty-eight

WHEN I WAKE, THE first thing I see is a blinding white light.

I blink once, twice, three times before finally adjusting to the light wherever I am. I stare straight up at what I assume to be a white ceiling. I attempt to adjust my body so that I can actually see where I am, but as I do so I feel a stabbing pain in my ribs. I let out a small squeal, letting my hand come to the spot to touch it softly, though I quickly retract it when I feel even more pain from doing so. My head throbs, but the pain has been numbed somewhat by what I presume to be medication.

At the feeling of the pain, the events of last night come rushing back to me — the banquet, the fight, the crash. My heart thumps loudly as I think about Luke's car plunging into the water. I thought I was going to die — no, I had accepted that I would. How was I alive? I don't know the answer, but I am incredibly grateful.

Suddenly, mind flicks to Luke. Is he okay? Is he hurt? From what I remember, he was better off than me — but was that just the adrenaline in the moment? Slowly but surely I place my palms against the mattress and push myself up slightly, just enough that I can finally see my surroundings. I am, in fact, in a hospital room — an empty one at that. Just as I begin to wonder where Luke might be, I hear voices arguing loudly outside my room, and when I look up I see none other than Luke and Calum standing just outside the slightly ajar door. Relief washes over me like a tidal wave, but it is short-lived once I see how angry Calum appears.

"I can't believe you could be so fucking stupid, Luke," Calum says, a deep frown set into his face.

Luke shakes his head, seeming terribly guilt-ridden. I notice that he is dressed in normal clothing, telling me that he's not a patient at the hospital. "I know. I'm sorry."

"How did this even happen?" Calum asks, his voice more fiery and accusatory than I have ever heard before.

"I told you already," Luke responds, though when Calum shoots him an unimpressed glance he continues regardless. "We were arguing and I got distracted, and—"

"And you flew off a fucking bridge with my sister in the car."

I flinch at Calum's words, reminded of the terrible events of the previous night and how frightened I had been when the car started filling up and I couldn't get my seatbelt loose.

Luke shakes his head again, avoiding my brother's eye. "I'm sorry, Cal," is all he says.

"Sorry isn't going to cut it," Calum deadpans. "What you did was awful."

Luke's head snaps up now, a horrified expression on his face. "You think I did it on purpose?"

"No!" Calum scoffs, shaking his head in disbelief. "But I know you weren't sober!"

Luke shakes his head instantly, denying the accusation. "Calum—"

"Don't even try and lie to me," Calum has stepped closer to him now, pointing a bony finger in his frightened face. "You drive across that bridge every damn day. There's no way you flew off it sober."

Luke's face shifts now, assuming one of complete and utter guilt. "Cal..." he trails off, seemingly unsure of what to say.

"You're lucky she's going to be okay," Calum responds, his tone icy cold.

At his words, Luke is seemingly reminded of the circumstances and allows his gaze to drift through the hospital room's window and meet my eye. Almost instantly, his eyes widen and he pushes past Calum, flying into the room. Calum follows quickly behind him, both boys taking seats beside my bed.