Chapter 10

^Andreas^

Leah

The air was knocked from my lungs. Darkness consumed me. 

I backed away from Kane and pressed myself against the wall, knocking a book from the bookshelf and hearing it land on the ground near my feet.

He stood, and with worrying molding his features, came to me with his arm reaching out. 

I swatted it away and tried pushing against him. "I hate you!" I cried feeling another blow to my chest. It was like someone was repeatedly punching my sternum.

His eyes glassed over as he placed his hand against his heart.

I had to get away. I had to run. I couldn't be in the same room with him without wanting to kiss him, and now all I could think about was tearing his clothes off...

Another blow, this time on my ribcage. I staggered, bracing myself on the door. 

I bolted out the door, rushing to the nearest place to hide. I found a small nook outside behind a bush and curled myself there.

I didn't run far; he could sniff me out if he wanted to. I just need somewhere where I could breathe. Somewhere distant.

The sharpness from the pain was gone now. I was still winded, but I could move around without freaking out. 

Andreas stood above me, his arms crossed, and a dazzling smirk on his lips. "Hello, Cinnabon," he greeted, giving me his hand so I could pull myself up.

"Why do you call me that?" I asked, feeling perplexed by the stage nickname.

He shrugged his shoulders as he guided me to a car. A different car than what we came here in. 

"You smell like cinnamon," he said nonchalantly. 

When he and I were the only ones in the car, and he had gotten in the driver's seat, I asked him if any of the others were coming back with us.

"They'll be in the car behind ours," he said, sadness leaking from his voice. "The alpha thought you'd like some time alone."

"Oh."

My chest constricted slightly. If it were anybody else, a random wolf or human, I would have been fine. But this was Kane. My mate. The one who was chosen for me by the Moon Goddess Alla. 

The mate bond didn't care who you were. It only cared about one thing: bringing the two Almas together. 

Kane had been distant, vicious, somewhat abusive that first day, and all-around a jerk to me, but my heart still hurt. My soul longed to have him near me.

Ugh! The bond was getting stronger. 

If I couldn't stop these thoughts, how was I ever going to stay away from him?

The trip back was shorter than the ride there. The time flew quicker with the presence of Andreas there to keep my mind from wondering. 

We talked for a long time, and when we found we had nothing left to discuss, we blasted the radio with the windows down. I actually enjoyed myself, a phrase I haven't been able to say since stumbling into Kane's territory. 

The scent of the forest surrounded me as we entered the driveway to the pack house. The gravel beneath the tires crunched from the weight of the car. The fountain splashed water in the distance; the sound getting closer and closer with every passing second. 

I stuck my head out the window like a dog and savored the feel of the breeze blowing through my hair. 

If mother could see me now, I said to myself.