Chapter 11

*^Up top^ is the trailer for Bronze. It took a long time to make, process, and finalize. It's not even that good, lol, but I think it gets to point across. PS: I'm adding the trailer to the prologue as well.*

Leah

I woke up in the nurse's office panting. My whole forehead was covered with perspiration, and I couldn't seem to get enough air in my lungs.

She handed me a glass of water and sat down beside me, taking my hand and slowly stroking it. She kept whispering to me and telling me stories. She reminded me a lot of the pack elders back home. 

"Are you feeling better?" She asked me. I smiled and nodded. "That's good. You know, Alpha has been worried sick! He hasn't left his office since he dropped you off yesterday."

I slight prick penetrated my heart. "Oh? I've been here since yesterday?"

"You were out like a light," she chuckled to herself. Stepping over to her desk, she sat down and began reading some files that were left laying around. The moment I put you on the cot, you went straight back to sleep. I tried waking you, but you were exhausted."

Magic was pretty exhausting.

"I repositioned your nose for you," the nurse said while peering over at me. 

My nose was held tight by gauze and medical tape. A thin stick was tapped to one side to keep it straight. I tried wiggling it, but a sharp pain stopped me.

"Thank you," I told her sincerely. I was grateful for her care and generosity toward me. 

"You said Kane- I mean Alpha was in his study?"

She nodded.

I asked her if she could show me the way, and she gladly accepted with the brightest smile I had ever seen. 

*******

The door to his office was larger than any of the others in the hallway. Instead of being light wood, his were dark oak and arranged like french doors. The handles were a shiny brass, swirling at the ends. 

Why was I so nervous to speak with him? Why does it feel different?

I contemplated the guilt I felt for being the reason for the tension. I should not have used that book in the first place, let alone tried to use an actual spell. I just wanted the pain to go away. And then for him to find me passed out on the ground- he had to be angry with me. 

The nurse, who I never learned the name of, left me without saying a word. She patted my back, giggled to herself, and made a steady beeline to the nearest exit. 

I knocked. 

Why should I be scared? There was nothing to be afraid of.

I knocked again when there wasn't an answer. Then I sniffed. He wasn't there. His scent was strong, but he was not physically in the room.

All at once, my nerves relaxed. I leaned my forehead against the door and sighed the biggest sigh of relief. 

"Are you looking for someone?" Katherine's bitchy voice rang in my sensitive ears. I turned and a shiver ran down my spine. Her eyes glowed a bright yellow, a sign she wasn't in control. 

"Not really," I gulped, taking a step back. I wasn't ready to face her yet. My body was still healing. Not to mention my still broken nose and nauseating headache.

"You shouldn't be here," she growled. I couldn't make out if she meant here in the hallway or here as in the building. 

"I know that," I retorted, following the slant of her eyes. They were cat-eyes, an ironic comparison considering we're wolves. She pierced through me with one look, peeling back any defenses I could muster.