Chapter 24

Leah

The day arrived faster than I expected. The preparations were made within a day, the guest list was sent out, and the venue was constructed within a thirty-six hour period.

I wasn't allowed to venture out much, according to Markus, due to my ability to "...escape like Houdini."  When Derrive told me that, I laughed, waking both my mother- who was sleeping in her cell- and the guard outside. 

Before I knew it, the day had come. I would become what Katherine was to Kane, without the love and respect parts of the vows. I would be a wife to a horrid man and a Luna to a pack that never truly accepted me. 

And through all this, the planning, the fitting, the cake tasting, and music playing, I couldn't stop thinking about Kane. What was he doing now? Was he searching for me? Did he know where I was?

I didn't need him, I kept telling myself. I didn't need anybody. Nevertheless, I wanted him. I wanted him more than I wanted to live. Because without him, I was not whole. I wouldn't be complete, my soul wouldn't be complete until he was near, safe within my arms and tucked in the crook of my side where I could protect him. 

You're protecting him now, my wolf told me dejectedly.

I wish there was another way. I wanted there to be another way.

Stepping out from my shower, I wrapped the dark green towel around my body, then proceeded to dry off, blow-dry my hair, and change into the dress that was made for me. 

It was long, flowing down to my ankles. The white fabric clung to my hips and waist like a second skin, restricting all circulation from the ribs down, and forcing me to stand straighter than a telephone pole. The sleeves were lacey, with intricate rose designs that reminded me of the wilted rose left on the stone altar where Kane and I claimed one another. 

Derrive knocked and poked his head through the door of the hotel suite I was placed in. He nodded with approval and opened the door wider to step fully in.

In the last few days, we had grown closer. He had told me that he was, in fact, cousins with Nika and that he had originally come from the Bronze pack where both his parents still lived. I still didn't trust him, but it was good to have an ally. 

"Hey," I mumbled as I stuffed a bag filled to the brim with a week's worth of supplies for James and Sofie. "I need to run back to the old house before we go," I said, slinging the bag over my shoulder and slipping on a pair of black flats. 

Derrive stretched his arms out, groaning pleasantly as he strained his muscles. "You'll be late," he commented as he leaned back. His eyes roamed up and down my body, assessing me. "Markus won't be happy about it, Leah. He might not let you go out anymore."

 I sighed, letting my hand rest against the door that blocked me from the outside world. The wood was oak, not spruce like in Kane's packhouse. The smells and compositions were different. 

"He won't let me out after this anyway, Derrive," I said quietly as if the words themselves weren't coming from me, but the wind outside. "I'm a woman. We stay inside and run the house, tend to children, and cook. That's all we're good for."

He scoffed, turning around and opening the door for me. "That's bullshit," he said gruffly. "I've gotten my ass beaten by a girl before."

I didn't try to hold in my laugh. "Normally, guys wouldn't admit something like that," I replied while wheezing. He shrugged but didn't speak. 

We walked down to the car in silence. It was comforting, knowing I could talk with Der about my problems without the fear of judgment. And we didn't need to talk, too. We were both inclined to let ourselves go to silence, let the stillness of the room or space surround us. 

But he didn't this time. 

"What is so important about this house?" he asked, puzzled, as he drove. I hesitated for a moment, going over my options. What would be the benefits of telling him? 

"It's my childhood home," I answered, playing with a strand of hair on my shoulder. Seeing how long it was, I realized I needed a haircut. 

"No."

"No?" I turned to glare at him. He was cold and impassive as usual, but a blue vein in his neck twitched almost unnoticeably, giving away his irritation. 

"There is something else. You always come through the back. Why?"

I glared out the window, finding it hard to look at him, and suddenly becoming very pissed off at myself. How could I have been so foolish? Of course, he would notice that I didn't exit through the front door. The guy had eyes on me all the time. 

I gulped, feeling a bubble expand in my throat. "I like going to the backyard."

He tsked while shaking his head. "Why do you lie? I can hear your heart when you speak," he said regaining control. The vein stopped its strain beneath his skin and returned back to normal. 

"Why must you be so nosey?" I retaliated angrily. "You never once answered any of my questions, so why do I have to answer any of yours, huh?"

The car jerked to the side of the road and came to a complete stop. With the engine still running, he turned to me and pinned me with a glare I would never forget. 

"If I cannot move Heaven, I will raise Hell," he muttered sharply, taking ahold of my arm and tugging me closer. When he saw the confusion written on my face, he exhaled and clarified curtly. "The tattoo; you asked me what it said. Now, tell me why."

I stopped gapping at him long enough to realize the importance of our conversation. Derrive had never been the type to speak unless it was absolutely necessary, and he sure as hell never explained anything about himself. 

I gathered enough courage to look him in the eyes, repeatedly telling myself that he could be trusted. Even though there was still doubt in the air between us, I was ready to let him in just like he had done with me. 

"M-my sister," I whimpered pathetically. "My sister hides in the shed out back with my friend. It's why I have the bag in the trunk."

He nodded, sympathy smoothing out his features as he released my arm. 

He went back to being quiet as he pulled out onto the road. I didn't like this silence as much as I did before. Now he knows my secret. A secret that could destroy me if it gets back to Markus. 

"My brother was killed by hunters," Derrive said, straining. He began beating a pattern against the steering wheel with his fingers, turning the random thumping into a song. A song that sounded a lot like Wendy's humming. 

"He always used to say that if he couldn't move the heavens, he would raise up hell, but he was all bark and no bite. Deep down, he was as caring and loving as a man could be. I got the tattoo as a reminder to follow in his footsteps."

I didn't understand why I felt pity for the large man sitting beside me. I barely knew him, and yet, the longer I sat there staring out the window like a lunatic, the more I grew to accept the ache in my chest. I hurt for him- though, I suspected he hurt just enough for himself. 

He sighed. "I'll help you," he said with a cough. Wide-eyed, I gawked at him, speechless. He looked at me through his peripheral, a quick glance in my direction, then chuckled softly. "I promise to get your sister out before the wedding."

"Derrive, I-"

"Nope, don't say a word. I already promised you, didn't I?" 

I didn't answer back; I didn't need to. I just stared at him, then smiled because I couldn't form the right words to thank him. A simple "thank you" wouldn't have been enough appreciation. What he deserved was all the money in the world for what he was going to do for me. 

Instead, I opted for a hand pat. Resting my hand on his, I gave him a squeeze, held his meaty fingers until my own started to grow cold, and returned my hand back to my lap. It lasted all of three seconds, but the weight of his promise would last a lifetime.