Chapter 1

***********************

Chioma rushed past busy employees in the building. She had received an important call from her boss at 7am. She wore a tight blue jeans, black boots, and a navy blue tee-shirt. Her hair was held back in a tight bun, and she had a determined look on her face.

She had always wanted to be the lead detective in a homicide case, but each time her boss denied her in favour of Michael, instead she was saddled with the assistant responsibility.

‘But not this time.’ She reasoned, as she came out of the elevator and walked with a smile on her face to her boss office. She arrived at the door which had written on it boldly.

THE BOSS

Her boss, Sarah, was a woman who had always been put down by other people who doesn't believe a woman should be in the position she was in. Sarah had worked really had, and she had proved all the haters wrong, she felt it was necessary to shove it in their face. Chioma knocked on the door and waited.

"Come in!" A loud voice called from inside. Chioma took a deep breath, said a silent prayer and walked in, shutting the door behind her.

"Good morn... What is he doing here?” Chioma asked in surprise as she saw Michael already sitting down in one of the visitors chairs, throwing her way his signature smirk.

"Calm down darling, why don't you take a sit first," Michael said, watching her amusement written all over.

"Shut your mouth Mr, I wasn't speaking to you." She threw him an annoyed look and turned back to Sarah. "Sarah, What is this? You promised me this case."

"Yeah, like she promised me. Why don't you have a sit," He said again.

"Still not talking to you Michael-"

"Chioma, please have a sit first," Sarah said after watching the banter between two of her best homicidal detective. Chioma gave a loud sigh and took a sit beside Michael, facing Sarah.

"Well," Sarah began. "The both of you are without doubt the best homicidal detectives I have here. I know I promised... What am I even saying, I will just drop the bomb," She said and took a pause. "The both of you are working as partners on this case."

"What?” They both shouted. It was then that Chioma realized that Michael didn't know Sarah had planned this.

"Ha ha, you didn't know the bomb!" She said mockingly and burst into a fit of laughter.

"But Sarah, I am always the lead detective, and you want to make us partners? You know it will never work, she is annoying," Michael complained ignoring Chioma's laughter.

"Puh-leese! If anyone is annoying it is you, you are the most annoying man I have ever had to work with and-" But Chioma was cut off by Sarah.

"That is enough Chioma. Michael, you are going to be working on this case with Chioma, as partners. She has assisted you on numerous cases, and they were all successful. I believe the two of you will make good partners," She said, not believing her words but still sent a smile their way. Collecting some files which were scattered around on her desk, she stood up, arms outstretched, offering them the files.

All this while, Chioma and Michael kept imagining the other as their partner on a case. On Chioma's part, sure she has assisted Michael on cases before, but they always make sure to stay clear of each others part. Now she had to work with him, as partners. This was a nighmare.

"People!" Sarah snapped her fingers to get their attention, with a little jump they collected the files in a hand. "That is Evelyn Okeke," She said taking her seat back. "-She was murdered in her room during her engagement ceremony on Christmas eve..."

"Hmmmm, Christmas eve..."

"Shut up and let her finish!" Chioma snapped.

"Thank you Chioma. Now as I was saying, Evelyn had gone upstairs to her room during the party. Few minutes later, the secretary of the fiancé firm was sent upstairs to call the newly engaged young lady, only to find her dead. She was stabbed in the throat, and had some other minor injuries, that should have been caused during a fight with the murderer. In those files, you will get information to everything you need," Sarah finished, and took her sit.

Chioma turned the pages, her eyes skimming through the files, till she came along a picture of Evelyn.

It showed a picture of Evelyn before her murder, she was flashing her buttocks to the camera with a dazzling smile on her face. The next part was dead Evelyn laying in a pool of her own blood.

"Wow, she had such a nice ass– wasted!" Michael said while shaking his head in disappointment.

"Of course, the ass, that is all you could notice," Chioma scoffed and got up to go. "I won't let you down Sarah."

"I trust that Chioma," Sarah answered with a nod, Chioma turned to walk out.

"That is also a nice ass," Michael told Sarah as he watched Chioma walking away. She turned around and threw him the finger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chioma arrived at her two room apartment in excitement, she couldn't wait to start working on this case. Right from the time she was a little girl, she has always been amazed by the world of mystery. She did read and watch all books and film mystery related. She always wanted to know who-did-it.

"Kachi! I am back oo! Please tell me you prepared something, today is still Christmas after all, I want food.” Chioma said as she walked into the living room, throwing her bag to one corner of the room, and falling down like a mango tree on the couch.

"Do I look like your wife?!” Kachi shouted from her room, Kachi was Chioma roommate and best friend.

They have been best friends since secondary school, and are still holding on to that strong bond till this moment. A young woman of average height stepped out from a room, a white towel was tied round her head, and one around her body.

"How was work?" She said walking towards the fridge.

"Exciting, I got a new case today— murder," Chioma said sitting up.

"That's exciting on your part, but not for the relatives." She grabbed a pack of orange juice and took a glass from the fridge, pouring some for herself.

"Pour me a glass too please. I am so tired and thirsty." Chioma laid back down on the couch, closing her eyes.

The photo of Evelyn ran across her mind again. In all the cases she had helped to solve, the murders turned out to be best friends, jealous sisters, coworkers and even ex-employees. She wondered who it was in Evelyn's case.

            **********************

This is it for the first chapter.

Drop a vote and a comment, thanks.

Stay safe