Chapter 12

Michael stood firm, his gaze stayed on Ayo unblinking, and Ayo returned it with the same intensity. Ayo hands were hoisted mid air and Michael's was clenched in a tight fist. The rain was falling in drizzles now, it drummed against the zincs and wetted their body as it hit them at places. Michael had since removed his jacket and rolled up his sleeves, his eyes weren't the gentle brown ones that had always caught Chioma's attention, it had a fierce look to it.

Ayo made the first move, he ran towards Michael with the intention to push him down to the floor, but Michael moved to the side quickly. Ayo had ran with such force, the effect of missing Michael was him falling down on his knees, Michael used that opportunity, twisting around, he used his elbows to hit Ayo hard on his back, sending him straight to the floor.

He settled on his waist turning him around to deliver punches to his face, but Ayo had grabbed sand in his hands, sending it to Michael's eyes, it landed on Michael's face, some of it entering his eyes, the rest going to his hair. Using Michael's blinded situation, Ayo used this opportunity to gain advantage, pushing Michael off him and getting on top.

He punched Michael in the face, the blow landing on his jaw. The force of the blow twisted Michael's face to the side, Michael who was still trying to regain his sight groaned in pain. Another blow came after that, and then another. The sand in Michael's eyes were stinging, he blinked severally while receiving the punches and soon some of the sand slided inside his eyes, this made it easier for him to see.

He raised both his hands and crossed them over his face, protecting it from the punches, then with great force he pushed Ayo off him and kicked him hard in his groin. The impact sent Ayo to the floor, he cursed out loud in pain, the kick Michael had sent to his balls really hit him.

Michael jumped on him and together, they rolled around like wild cats, the dirty mud staining their clothes and body, they stopped rolling when they got to a wall and this time Michael was on top. As he punched Ayo in the face, he noticed Ayo was reaching out for something, Michael glanced to the side and noticed a knife, just an arms length away from them to the side and Ayo was reaching for it.

"What happened to fighting like a man?!" Michael questioned angrily, he used his feet to kick the knife further away, Ayo using this opportunity pushed Michael away from him, scrambling on his knees to get the knife, but Michael didn't plan for that to happen.

He was already getting tired of the fight and Chioma was on his mind. He grabbed Ayo by the arm, turning him around to face him, he delivered a heavy blow to his Solar plexus, a sweet spot just under the chest, this sent Ayo to the ground, out cold. Michael smiled, Ayo was going to be gone for awhile.

He stood up from the floor and was about to look around for his gun when he heard the cocking of a gun beside him, he turned around to see Angela pointing his own gun straight to his chest.

~~~~~~~~

Chioma awoke to the feeling of her body being shaken and in addition to the pain she was receiving at the side of her head was what brought her back. She found herself looking at Michael's face, he had a bad cut in his jaw and his hair was mixed with dirty mud. "Michael," She called weakly.

"Hey," He said and shifted closer to her, his arms was tied so he couldn't hold her, but still he was able to get close enough. He buried his head in her hair. "I thought I had lost you."

She smiled and moved closer to him, even with the mud over his body, she was just glad to see him alive. "I'm not dying anytime soon Michael, we will get through this." Michael pulled back and stared into her eyes, he nodded.

"Why, isn't this just adorable-" Chioma and Michael turned their head to the side to see Angela standing by the door entrance "The two detectives are in love!" She gave a small laugh. "Then you must understand my love for Alex right?"