Chapter 3

Funmi was in her one room apartment, laying on her bed, her mind was in the events that happened yesterday. Everything happened so fast, first the party and then Evelyn's death.

A loud knock came suddenly, interrupting her from her thoughts. She jumped up with a start.

"Who is that?" She called out loud as she put on her fluffy princess slippers and hurried towards the entrance door. She opened it to see a young handsome man who she suspects to be in his late twenties. At first, she was taken aback by the beauty of the man in front of her. Alex might have found his match. She kept on staring at the man without realizing it herself.

"Uhmm... Miss?" Chioma asked staring at the young woman who looks frozen by Michael. Every woman happened to be attracted to him, and she had to admit, she was too, till she had to work with him. One day was all it took, he frustrated the life out of her, she would never forget that.

"Hi, you are Miss Funmi Adeniyi right?" Michael asked, bringing out a hand from his pockets and holding it out to Funmi.

Chioma rolled her eyes at the sight of Funmi getting lost in Michael's looks again. He wasn't even that handsome.

"We are from the homicide department, do you mind if we come in, we would like to ask questions concerning Evelyn's death." Chioma told her not bothering to stretch her hand out for a handshake.

"Evelyn? Sure, Uh.. c-come in," She stuttered while stepping aside and opening the door wider.

Chioma and Michael stepped in looking round the apartment. It looked like she had been doing some arrangement earlier.

"Sorry for the mess, my friend, an employee at the firm who had been visiting, just moved back to her home this morning." She walked towards the couch and removed some items that were there. "Please, have a seat, I would be right back." She walked away quickly.

Chioma stared at a picture of Funmi and a woman she suspected was her employee, since they were dressed in an office manner and were in front of what she had come to know as the Edward's firm. Alex took a sit at the two sitter couch and Chioma sat down beside him.

"You know, you smell really nice," He commented, leaning closer towards Chioma and taking a sniff.

"Are you crazy? We are here to investigate and you are taking note of my perfume." She gave him a look of disbelief then proceeded to smacked his head.

"Ow!!! What was that for? I was simply pointing out that-"

"I am sorry if I took time," Funmi said and sat down in the seat which was opposite Chioma and Alex. "So, ask your questions."

"No problem, that didn't take time at all," Michael said drawing Funmi attention to him. "We are just here to ask a few questions and we would be on our way."

"Ok." She ran her hand through her hair and then clasped them together on her knees.

"Can you tell us the last time you spoke to Miss Evelyn Okeke?" Chioma asked bringing out a recorder and pressing the start button.

"That was on the 24th of December, some minutes after nine, I had bumped into her during the party."

"Ok, and what words were exchanged between the both of you?"

"I had congratulated her and we shared a hug. Then she said she wanted to go do something upstairs and she left." She told them, eyes darting from Michael to Chioma and back to Michael again.

"We were told that you were the one that found the body of Evelyn, tell us how that came about," Michael said sitting up straight.

"Uhmn, Well... It's just that... I-I didn't kill her I swear! I am not a murderer! I mean I hated her but I wouldn't kill her," She cried out. "I was jealous ok? But I didn't want her dead," Tears ran down her cheeks, she wiped them away with her fists but they kept on coming.