Epilogue

8th April, 1964

"It's been a year since you left us Cyn, can you believe it?" John spoke to the gravestone, Julian on his knee. "Which also means that this little guy is one year old today, right Jules?"

"Dada!" Julian called out, smiling.

"Should we get the flowers baby?" John spoke to the little boy, who didn't actually understand what he was saying. "C'mon then."

John stood up, putting Julian on his hip. Underneath the pram there was a beautiful bouquet of Lillies, which John took in his hands.

"These are for you Cyn. From me, Jules and Paul."

"Dada!" He called out at the mention of Paul.

"That's right, darlin'" The man spoke, kneeling down once more next to the grave. "Will you say mummy?"

The boy didn't respond, just hid his head in John's chest.

"Come on... I can see you smilin' baby. Just say mummy, she'd love to hear it. Wouldn't you, Cyn?" John spoke, looking at the grave. "Say... Mummy."

"M-Mama."

John's eyes grew wide. He never thought Julian would actually say it, as the only word he had said in the last 3 weeks had been 'Dada'.

"You said it!"

"Dada mama!" Julian said back to him in the same tone.

The man felt his eyes water, leaning forward and kissing the little boy on the head gently. He let his chin lightly rest on the boy's head, staring at the grave once more.

"There you go, Cynnie. The only word apart from 'Dada' in the last few weeks." John laughed lightly.

After a while of sitting on the newly cut grass and talking to the gravestone with Julian, he checked his watch and saw that it was almost half 2. Julian's party would be starting in half an hour, and it was quite the walk back to John's house.

"Right then, Cyn. We best be goin'." He sighed. "We gonna go and see your Daddy?" John asked the boy, standing to his feet.

"Dada!"

"Yeah. Come on." He moved back over to the pram, placing Julian inside. He giggled as John lay him down.

With one last look to the gravestone, he knelt back down, kissing his hand and caressing it on the top of the gravestone.

"Rest well, Cynnie. Everything's okay down here." He smiled weakly.

At that, he stood back up, taking hold of the pram and pushing it towards the exit.

————————————————————

John leant over for the handle on the door, opening it up and pushing the pram inside. He'd done it more than enough times now that he considered himself a pro at the task.

He took Julian out, closing the door behind him.

"Do you wanna walk?"

Julian made grabby hands to the ground, which made it clear to John what he wanted.

"Alright." He smiled.

The boy was placed on the ground, John taking hold of his hands and walking behind him. He couldn't walk on his own just yet without falling, but loved to pretend he was walking. He liked to be like everyone else, and so if one of his Dad's were walking, then he would most likely be 'walking' too.

"This way." John ushered him to the living room door. He kept hold of Julian's left hand, using his right to push open the door with a smile, knowing what was behind there.