Chapter 13: The little cupid

"Pain will not destroy you, the refusal to face it will."- Rune Lazuli

Dexter POV

I wore black pants with a white shirt and match it with a dark blue suit. It is my company charity dinner. I will bring Andrea with me and Elsie had to follow to as she needs to take care of her while I'm occupied with few partners. I went to Andrea's room once I'm ready.

"My stomach pain, Elsie. I don't think I can go," I heard my sweet pie's voice outside her room. I leaned towards the door frame and listen to their conversation. She lies on the bed curling her body while Elsie sat beside her holding onto her arms.

"Then I will stay and take care of you here," she said with concern.

"What happens here?" I asked confused by the situation. Both of them turned their gaze at me and I walked closer to them.

"I've stomach pain, daddy. I want to rest at home."

"You sure you okay?" I tried to confirm.

"Yeah, daddy. I will be fine. Aunt Isabel will take care of me. You can go with Elsie." Her words made Elsie shifted from her seat. She was now standing across me.

What a beautiful version of her. I said audibly. She wore a long sleeve maxi dress which was sewed with some flowers pattern on the dress. The light makeup still made her looked gorgeous. She matched her outfit with black wedges. Not to forget to mention, her dress was dark blue in color which match my suit perfectly. I slightly nodded my head in agreement.

"Maybe we should cancel the dinner so I could take care of her at home." She looks at my face waiting for my response.

"No, Elsie. Please go with daddy. He will be alone tonight without anyone. Please," Elsie pleaded on my behalf. She holding on to Elsie's hand and swing it lightly.

I stood there observing their interaction with my hands tugged into my pockets. Deep down I wish she will agree with Andrea's suggestion. I want her to accompany me to dinner. This was actually Andrea's idea and she was pretended to be sick. I was impressed with her acting and I just played along as she requested earlier.

I almost smiled when I recalled the conversation that we had earlier this evening when she said that she will pretend to be sick so that I can go to dinner with Elsie. I don't know why she was acting that way but I'm more confused about why I agreed to follow her plan.

"Hmm, ok but make sure you rest well and call us if you need anything." She caressed Andrea's cheek and turned her eyes on me. Andrea sneakily showing her little thumb to me behind Elsie as her plan for tonight seems successful.

"Shall we?" It was more of a statement instead of a question. She just nodded without any word. We both kissed Andrea before leaving her in the room.

I asked the driver to take the limo tonight and we seated in the passenger seat. She was quiet during the whole journey. She was more interested in the view outside and her phone. She doesn't even glance or speak a word to me. I sighed thinking about my warning to her last few weeks ago. That was what I wanted at first but I'm not sure why I don't like it to be this way.

After a torturing journey, we finally arrived at the destination. I hauled a deep breath. The driver stopped in front of the entrance and opened the door for me and Elsie. I walked to her and slid my arm at her back. She froze with my sudden encounter and she stared at me silently sending me a warning, asking me to let go of my hand.

The devilish me won't agree with her. Instead, I tucked her closer to my side and placed my hand on her waist. She squirmed but that was not strong enough to loosen my grip.

"What are you doing? Let go of your hand," she snarled but not with high pitched voice, aware of the public eyes. I smirked with no intention to do as she requested.

"Time to go," I chided ignoring her and entered the ballroom with her beside me.

The ballroom was decorated nicely in a fancy look with the crystal chandeliers spiraled down from the ceiling. Few tables were set in the room while a variety of food was placed on the side of the hall. The golden ballroom was filled with men in suits and their partners in sparkling diamonds and jewels swirling around.

The event will start a moment from now with an opening speech from me. We are the mafia but we are more to legal business and this kind of event is part of the company to maintain the business relationship and build a good rapport for the company which I actually don't need it.

The waiter approached us and I took two glasses of wine from the gold tray and handed one to Elsie. I walked with her to the table nearby.

"Sit here," I said pull out a stool for her and released my grip from her waist. She followed my order without any objection. I loved it when she acted like this.

I heard the crowd clapped their hand when the MC started the event and announced that it was time for the opening speech. The light was focus on me and I smiled at the crowds which mostly were the company's partners and clients.

"Stay here, don't go anywhere, and don't get drunk," I whispered to her before getting up to the stage.

When I almost finished my speech, I saw one guy in a black suit approached Elsie. He took her hand in his palm and planted a kiss on the back of her hand. I can't see his face as his back was facing me. It made my heart boiled with anger. I tried my best to control my emotion and quickly ended my speech.

The view in front of me was hurting my eyes and I need to stop it. Who dares to touch my partner and even worse, kissed her?!

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤