Chapter 18: Can we have a drink?

"You steady me and stir me all at once."- Butterflies Rising

Elsie POV

We were back at the mansion after five days in Italy. For the past few days since the nightmare that he had during the trip, I noticed that he wasn't really talking to anyone in the mansion and most of the time he made himself busy in the office.

Last night I saw him came out from the basement with drained blood on his shirt. I can sense the anger around him and he became colder than before. Not even a smirk on his face. All I could see was a burned eye that getting darker day by day. The worst part was he spent less time with Andrea and making his work as an excuse which I knew was a lie.

It was 10 o'clock at night. I went to my room after put Andrea to bed. I heard a noise from the room beside me when I wanted to enter my room. It was from his room located beside my room. It sounds like someone smashed something on the floor.

I knocked on the door but no response from inside. I could still hear the sound of the glasses and objects been slammed on the hard concrete and I decided to open the door, ignoring the manner of knocking it.

I gasped when I saw what he was doing. He smashed all the things from the table to the floor. The broken glass, vase, frame, and other things were all over the floor. His room was in very bad condition.

"Dexter, what happens?" I pushed my scare away.

"None of your business. Leave!" He scowled, slightly turned his face to me while his back was facing me. He continued smashing all the things in his room. I closed the door behind don't want to alarm other people at this hour.

"Hey, calm down. Don't hurt yourself," I tried to stop him when I saw him start to punch the wall with his bare hand. He ignored me, treated me as I was invisible.

"Stop! I said stop!" He repeated to punch the wall until the red clot flowing from his hand and stains the white wall. I hugged his body from behind. My arms wrapped around his waist tried to pull him away from the wall. It doesn't impact him at first but slowly, he stops punching the wall.

"It's okay. Calm down. You will be okay." I tightened my arms on his waist and tried to cool him down. I don't know what's going on with him but I could sense that it might connect to the nightmare that haunted him a few times during the trip.

I spun him around to face me. He looked at the floor avoiding my eyes. I cupped his face and tilted my head to look at him.

"You will be fine. Don't hurt yourself like this." I turned his face to look at me and I stared at him, nodded my head convinced him that he will be fine; everything will back to normal.

He pulled me to his chest and he rested his head on the crook of my neck. I hugged him back, slowly rubbing his back, comforting him. This was the fragile side of him that I witnessed a few times. I knew it wasn't easy for him since he kept everything to himself.

"You are bleeding. We need to clean the cut," I loosen the grip and hold his hand in my palm. His knuckles were bleeding.

"No, it doesn't matter." He took his hand away from my grip.

"Dexter Anderson," I warned him and he looked at me emotionless for a while. He suddenly pulled me into another hug.

"Fine, hug me until you feel better but later we need to clean your injured hand." I guess he needs a hug now more than a first aid kit. That can wait. He hummed slowly in my embrace, agreed with my request.

Dexter POV

After she calmed me down in her embrace, she pulled me to her room to clean my injured knuckles. I observed all her small actions, I couldn't understand why she still poured her kindness over me after what I had done to her. Her sincerity and kindness attracted me. I was amused at how she made me calm with her hug. No one dares to approach me if I was in that state but she just ignored the fact that she might get hurt while anger controlled me.

"Done." I was brought back to reality with her voice. She smiled and placed my hand on my tight.

"Thanks," I said in a low tone. She nodded with a smile plastered on her face.

"Hmm, do you want to talk about it?" She asked hesitantly, probably worried that her question might bring back the beast inside of me. I stayed quiet looking down at my bandaged hand.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it." She patted my arm.

"Can we have a drink tonight?" I asked her instead of answering her. I think I need to have a drink tonight.

"Sure, we can have a drink but not with something that will make us drunk," she said with her brows knitted together which caused her forehead to wrinkle. I turned my eyes and stared at her waiting for her to continue her words.

"With coffee," she whispered which caused me to let out soft chuckles.

I shrugged my shoulder, agreed with her way for tonight.

Probably, I need her to accompany me more compared to a drink. That was why it doesn't really matter what drink we are having. I just want her to be with me now, at this moment. Only she and that will be more than enough.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤