10: "I Get Sad Sometimes"

Y/N's P.O.V.

"Y/N, we were talking about your coven problem and we decided to call in a friend." Sam explained, looking up from his laptop. Mary had left for her hunt just over a week ago and Cas and Dean had gone into town.
"She's got experience with covens and I think she's going to be able to help you out."

"So, am I going to find out who this young witch is or am I going to have to guess?" I recognised the voice and accent instantly, turning to see Dean and Cas stood by the ginger witch.

"Rowena?" I looked at her in shock.
"Holy shit you have not aged a day."

"Y/N?" She looked at me with wide eyes.
"You're all grown up."

"You two know each other?" Cas seemed surprised.

"Rowena was a friend of my mother. She visited a lot when I was growing up, helped me with my magic." I explained.

"It's a small world." Dean sighed.

"What are you doing here, Y/N. No offence boys, but the ladies in your life don't exactly have average life expectancies." I wanted to question that, but I'd save it for later.

"Turns out Dean, Sam and I have something in common." I sighed and Rowena looked confused.
"We've got the same father."

"Oh." The witch breathed.
"That's a wee bit complicated now, isn't it?"

"No, not really." Sam cleared his throat.
"Anyway, Y/N has herself mixed up with a coven."

"Well, we can sort that, let me give your mother a call and-"

"My mother is dead." I interrupted and Rowena narrowed her eyes at me.
"She died years ago. When I was 18, she got in an argument with another witch an it didn't end pretty. I burned her body myself."

"I'm so sorry, Y/N." Rowena stepped closer, reaching out and putting her hand on my cheek.
"Your mother is very much alive. I saw her 2 weeks ago." I stepped back.

"No, that's impossible." I shook my head, feeling sick.

"Y/N?" Sam asked, sounding unsure. I sat down and covered my mouth.

"I'm fine. I'm okay." I let out a shaky breath.
"Don't call her. She can't know I'm here."

"Okay, dear. I'm sure the two of us can handle this." Rowena sat next to me and I pretended to ignore the looks shared by my brothers and Castiel.
The next few hours were spent talking about the coven, Rowena coming up with a plan to take it out. The coven was an enemy of the grand coven, something neither of us wanted to get involved with.
The coven itself was centred in Ohio and they were known for using magic for their own financial gain as well as testing spells on normal, powerless people.
"I'm going to make a few calls, I don't want you anywhere near this coven, dearie." Rowena touched my shoulder as she walked away and Dean moved into the seat next to me.

"So are you going to tell us, or do we have to ask?" He asked instantly.

"Ask what, Dean?" I looked at him seriously.

"Your reaction when Rowena told you your mother was alive, that wasn't normal." I rolled my eyes.

"What classes as normal, Dean? I was shocked, okay? I just found out my mom was alive after almost 20 years of her faking her death." I knew I was being unnecessarily snappy, but I was scared and I didn't want to show it.

"It was more than that, Y/N. You were terrified." Sam looked at me with a soft expression and I stood up.

"I'm not- I'm not scared of her." That was a lie.
"She's my mother and- and I'm going to find Jack. I haven't seen him in a while." I left the room, heading towards the bedrooms. I knocked on Jack's door and waited patiently, for him to open it.

"Y/N, hi." He smiled brightly, before his smile faltered.
"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm fine, I just wanted to come and check on you." I smiled weakly and he took my hand, pulling me into his room.

"You're sad." He spoke slowly.
"That's okay. I get sad sometimes too." He moved the book off of his bed and picked up the laptop from his desk. He patted the space next to him on the bed and I sat down.
"When I'm sad, I use this laptop Sam gave me to look at the videos my mom left for me."

"Is this her?" I asked, picking up the photo frame from his desk, featuring a brunette woman, and Jack nodded his head.
"She's beautiful."

"She was kind too, like you. I miss her." Jack frowned and I placed the photograph down.

"I know." I sighed and Jack tapped on a video. He let it load, his mother smiling at him from the laptop.

"Hey Jack..."